Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I have a white silkie that I was gonna cull due to very red comb and it has tiny horns on it (a bad thing I know). Right around when I was gonna get rid of him I noticed his tail area had some very faint blackish barring going on so I decided to wait awhile just to see what color he turned out. He is about a year now and has a very blackish area on his tail and the rest of him is white.
Is this a color pattern or something that could be worked with?
I don't think he is paint because its not spotting. The black is more like a solid layer on top of his white tail.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do use the "Add to Reputation" button on BYC but it doesn't feel right to click on that one just because something is entertaining.
idunno.gif

I'm stunned by your dark blue that started out a chipmunk. I had no idea a chick could develop like that. I've not seen anything like that - with or without leakage. That post deserves a thumbs up click!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I do use the "Add to Reputation" button on BYC but it doesn't feel right to click on that one just because something is entertaining.
idunno.gif

I'm stunned by your dark blue that started out a chipmunk. I had no idea a chick could develop like that. I've not seen anything like that - with or without leakage. That post deserves a thumbs up click!
thumbsup.gif
I use it when the information is helpful. I did it earlier for Hawkeye.

I have a white silkie that I was gonna cull due to very red comb and it has tiny horns on it (a bad thing I know). Right around when I was gonna get rid of him I noticed his tail area had some very faint blackish barring going on so I decided to wait awhile just to see what color he turned out. He is about a year now and has a very blackish area on his tail and the rest of him is white.
Is this a color pattern or something that could be worked with?
I don't think he is paint because its not spotting. The black is more like a solid layer on top of his white tail.
We can't give you any good input without a picture of the bird. It sounds like it might be sort of a Columbian color, but if the black is missing from the hackles, then it isn't. If it's an off white bird-- then that could be another indicator of what might be in there. Post a picture! :) After we see a picture, this might be a really good one for Sonoran to explain with what might have happened!
wink.png
One more question though-- what breeding did the bird come from? Was this a white X white breeding?

I miss my black, Wicca
sad.png
with all these blacks showing up here.

pretty!

I use it when the information is helpful. I did it earlier for Hawkeye.
Wow, thank you!
smile.png

What about my pullet Nera? I'm taking her to her first show on Saturday, but I'm new to silkies and not too sure what to expect with her. How does she look to you guys? She is 5 months old.

Well unfortunately, I don't think she will do well in the show
sad.png
. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, she just isn't really the standard. She is too tall(if she is indeed a pullet), also she has no cushion, too small of a crest, and her back is too long. At least, right now. She MAY fill out more as she grows, but looking at these pictures she is only pet quality.

Are you going to the congress?

This is my 5 month old pullet who is also going to a show this weekend, this is closer to what you want

Last edited:
I'm assuming you are talking to me. Believe me, you are not being rude! I'm just taking her as a why the heck, why not type deal. It's a show in N. GA forget the name thou. I was technically supposed to euthanize her because she wasn't needed for research as planned, so instead I brought her home. I'm happy with her (show quality or not). She makes a great pet! :)

Back
Top Bottom