Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Yep! I'm very excited to go. I'm helping someone else with her silkies so it will be a great learning experience.

I'm assuming you are talking to me. Believe me, you are not being rude! I'm just taking her as a why the heck, why not type deal. It's a show in N. GA forget the name thou. I was technically supposed to euthanize her because she wasn't needed for research as planned, so instead I brought her home. I'm happy with her (show quality or not). She makes a great pet!
smile.png
So glad you rescued! But if I were to make a guess, I would say that is a cockerel who has a lot of developing to do. Hard to say how it will end up. Some birds develop more rapidly than others. I've had ones like that at that age that didn't look nearly as nice as yours and ended up quite nice. Most of my birds tend to develop slowly. No way are any of mine ready for exhibition at 5 months. They really need to be at least 8, and often that is too soon. Ten months is definitely better for mine.

So glad you rescued! But if I were to make a guess, I would say that is a cockerel who has a lot of developing to do. Hard to say how it will end up. Some birds develop more rapidly than others. I've had ones like that at that age that didn't look nearly as nice as yours and ended up quite nice. Most of my birds tend to develop slowly. No way are any of mine ready for exhibition at 5 months. They really need to be at least 8, and often that is too soon. Ten months is definitely better for mine.
X2 on the cockerel part. :)

Hmmm, I never thought about it benign cockerel. My roo was always dancing around her? She hasn't made any indication of crowing, only the occasional clucking. She would also follow the roo and he would show her where the food was etc. but maybe my roo just had eyes for everything!

Hmmm, I never thought about it benign cockerel. My roo was always dancing around her? She hasn't made any indication of crowing, only the occasional clucking. She would also follow the roo and he would show her where the food was etc. but maybe my roo just had eyes for everything!
They can throw you. I have a splash that I swear was a cockerel. She was very "leggy" like yours....she is just the prettiest thing and has changed so much since those days of looking like a boy. It happens. :)

Haha I hope she is just having a manly phase or I will have to re home her. Had to get rid if my other roo because the neighbors didn't like his crowing. It was very hard to say goodbye, but he has a great home now!
Next week ill pluck a feather, extract the DNA and run a PCR and see if she really is a she! The beauties of going to school for vet med.

Haha I hope she is just having a manly phase or I will have to re home her. Had to get rid if my other roo because the neighbors didn't like his crowing. It was very hard to say goodbye, but he has a great home now!
Next week ill pluck a feather, extract the DNA and run a PCR and see if she really is a she! The beauties of going to school for vet med.
Now that is AWESOME! Not too many folks can do that!

I can't wait!
pop.gif

My cockerels will dance around a new young cockerel that I put in their pen. They do the whole "mating" dance and come up and act like they are going to breed the little cockerel. It's a boy thing. I think they are asserting their dominance. Not saying you have a boy, just saying that is not out of the norm for a boy to "court" another boy.
wink.png

Now that is AWESOME! Not too many folks can do that!
X2!!! very cool!

Back
Top Bottom