Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

What color would you call these two cockerels? Are they a light grey, Columbian or splash? Someone is selling them locally and i was considering one if it could be useful in breeding grey (my rooster died and it its hard to find a grey without autosamal red).

Looks like a light gray and pretty decent guy too. The other one looks blue but I can't see it very well.

I have an odd hatching story like that. I hatched out some eggs. I let the late ones sit an extra 2 days with no indication of hatching. So I turned the incubator off. 2 days later I got the eggs out to throw out to clean it to LD more eggs. I put them in the trash and heard PEEP< PEEP< PEEP!! I grabbed them up listening til I found the one making the sound. Now this egg had sit in 70 degree temps for 2 days and had pipped. What a surprise. Sometimes even knowing how delicate these little precious babies are we forget just how strong they can be in the same respect. This little baby hatched an hour later!
I have found chicks that did not get under mamma during 45 degree temps laying lifeless outside the nest....brought them in..warmed them up and had them running around after an hour or so..then have a strong chick running around peeping die during the night for no apparent reason. Nature just really baffles me sometimes.
Wow! Great story!!
Does anyone have and idea what color this is? It was sort of brownish with stripes as a chick.

Thank you, Herman
I believe you have a blue carrying partridge genes. It may develop leakage. It might be useful in a blue partridge breeding project.

Quote:peepblessed I believe you have a blue carrying partridge genes. It may develop leakage. It might be useful in a blue partridge breeding project.
Thanks, peepblessed
He does have a lil browns on his back.Is that what you meant by leakage?
Does he look to be a cockeral? Does the white look like a pullet?

Oh yeah you are right. The other one does look blue. That probably is the other roo. I was thinking the light one in the two pics were two different roos. :) lol. Um...I feel silly. Ok so she has 'ONE' rooster that I'm interested in. ;) Thanks for feedback on the color.
Looks like a light gray and pretty decent guy too. The other one looks blue but I can't see it very well.

Does "he" having any barring on his flight wing feathers? I'm not positive the brown you describe would be leakage but gold on the hackles and wings for sure. Lots of people with better genetic skills on here. :D Did you say how old? It's pretty short legged (girl) but otherwise looks boy. Maybe some streamers starting to grow. The white one looks like a pullet. :D

I have an odd hatching story like that. I hatched out some eggs. I let the late ones sit an extra 2 days with no indication of hatching. So I turned the incubator off. 2 days later I got the eggs out to throw out to clean it to LD more eggs. I put them in the trash and heard PEEP< PEEP< PEEP!! I grabbed them up listening til I found the one making the sound. Now this egg had sit in 70 degree temps for 2 days and had pipped. What a surprise. Sometimes even knowing how delicate these little precious babies are we forget just how strong they can be in the same respect. This little baby hatched an hour later!
I have found chicks that did not get under mamma during 45 degree temps laying lifeless outside the nest....brought them in..warmed them up and had them running around after an hour or so..then have a strong chick running around peeping die during the night for no apparent reason. Nature just really baffles me sometimes.
That's pretty neat. It is amazing how the nature works it's magic at times.
I found a chick in the coop last year, laying flat on the ground. I was sure it was dead. Must have wondered away from mom and just got cold... Picked the little thing up and noticed he was breathing so I rushed him in, put him in a box with a hot water bottle and rubbed him to warm him up. And of courseI found the chick just before my boyfriend & were getting ready to go for his brothers birthday breakfast. As we were getting in the car, I decided I wanted to go check on the chicks just for the fun of it. Good thing I did! Otherwise the chick probably would have died. I brought him in the box with me, thinking it was going to take quite a while before the chick got better...if he got better. Literally, about 20 minutes later the chick was peeping it's full head off. And of course we were still in the car, driving to the restaurant where the birthday was. Yes, I walked into the restaurant with my chick in it's box making noise.
lau.gif
Good thing we weren't headed to a real fancy restaurant. lol It was one of those country typed food places. Great food. And the chick was named Beavis and it turned out to be a boy. I always called him Beavis the Breakfast chick.

Question about genetics. So the egg I had in the incubator died around lockdown. The eggtopsy showed a little white baby, I was expecting a black? So my question. She has a black rooster and a white hen. Would this mean her hen is dominant white, or could her roo be carrying a hidden recessive white gene? here is the picture of the baby, I can't remember if I posted it...

If I remember right, both parents have to have the white gene in order for the chick to be white? If that's right, this mean that the rooster is carrying the white gene. I got some white chicks last year. We only had 2 white hens, no roosters. I'm sure my rooster Curly is the one with the white gene because this wasn't the first time we've had white chicks with no white roosters. Curly came out of a pen with all sorts of colors. Father was a strange colored rooster, there was one white hen in there also.

Curly's dad

Curly's mom

Curly

These are all PQ birds, eggs hatched at random for pets.
I've had some black, partridge, and white chicks by Curly. Also, a couple greys like him, and some grays with black being the base color and silver in the hackles etc.. Who knows what kind of genes they had.
lol.png

Last edited:
Does "he" having any barring on his flight wing feathers? I'm not positive the brown you describe would be leakage but gold on the hackles and wings for sure. Lots of people with better genetic skills on here. :D Did you say how old? It's pretty short legged (girl) but otherwise looks boy. Maybe some streamers starting to grow. The white one looks like a pullet. :
They were hatched on 1/25/13 so will be 14 weeks friday. No barring on flights look solid blue but I will double check. He was a brownish color with the stripes when born and as he got older he turned the greyish/ blue mostly.

Saw somewhere something called a Silver partridge?

Thanks again peepblessed......

What color would you call these two cockerels? Are they a light grey, Columbian or splash? Someone is selling them locally and i was considering one if it could be useful in breeding grey (my rooster died and it its hard to find a grey without autosamal red).
He's a grey ( top bird ). Love his wings, hate his comb. Foot feathering looks good. How old is he ?
The K below is a splash.

Last edited:
He's a grey ( top bird ). Love his wings, hate his comb. Foot feathering looks good. How old is he ?
The K below is a splash.

I see no splash. The two light colored birds, I'm assuming are the same cockerel. Even if they were 2 different birds, they're both gray.
The dark one is either black or blue. Hard to tell by this picture. Definitely no splash.

Back
Top Bottom