Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

They were hatched on 1/25/13 so will be 14 weeks friday. No barring on flights look solid blue but I will double check. He was a brownish color with the stripes when born and as he got older he turned the greyish/ blue mostly.

Saw somewhere something called a Silver partridge?

Thanks again peepblessed......

They are younger than I thought. May not be a boy. Silver partridge is also considered gray. It has penciling (not desirable in the gray standard) but no gold or brown.

My very first incubator running with eggs from peep!!
wee.gif

About 2 weeks left to go. Can't wait for hatching day!

I see no splash. The two light colored birds, I'm assuming are the same cockerel. Even if they were 2 different birds, they're both gray.
The dark one is either black or blue. Hard to tell by this picture. Definitely no splash.
Look at the black/dark blue patch on the bottom bird behind the wing. That is NOT a grey. Magnify it, and you will see it. The second bird has no type either.

I see no splash. The two light colored birds, I'm assuming are the same cockerel. Even if they were 2 different birds, they're both gray.
The dark one is either black or blue. Hard to tell by this picture. Definitely no splash.
I was assuming that the 2 focused on Ks, were 2 different ones. In the second photo I see a black/dark blue marking behind the wings. I never considered the blue in the background of both photos.

I was assuming that the 2 focused on Ks, were 2 different ones. In the second photo I see a black/dark blue marking behind the wings. I never considered the blue in the background of both photos.
Look at the black/dark blue patch on the bottom bird behind the wing. That is NOT a grey. Magnify it, and you will see it. The second bird has no type either.
Whether they're two different birds or not, both are grey.
The bird in the second picture does have a dark spot behind the wing, but it's not what a splash bird would have. There really is no splashing on it's body. The cushion has the dark as a grey bird would. And really, colors in both pictures are so washed out and it's impossible to tell the true color.
The bird in the second picture is not standing upright either, a very bad pose to be able to tell type. He might not have great type, but we can't say 100% sure if he has no type at all by this picture. Also, I don't think we know the age for these birds. They look very young.

What color would you call these two cockerels? Are they a light grey, Columbian or splash? Someone is selling them locally and i was considering one if it could be useful in breeding grey (my rooster died and it its hard to find a grey without autosamal red).

Last edited:
They are young. I was told they were hatched on dec 25th.
Whether they're two different birds or not, both are grey.
The bird in the second picture does have a dark spot behind the wing, but it's not what a splash bird would have. There really is no splashing on it's body. The cushion has the dark as a grey bird would. And really, colors in both pictures are so washed out and it's impossible to tell the true color. 
The bird in the second picture is not standing upright either, a very bad pose to be able to tell type. He might not have great type, but we can't say 100% sure if he has no type at all by this picture. Also, I don't think we know the age for these birds. They look very young.

Quote: I think they are the same bird, too. Too many similarities...I don't *think* splash, but without the bird in hand I am not prepared to state that it *is* not. Could be both grey and splash mixed together. One reason I don't think splash is because there is no real splashing all over the body, and hackle and tail are both noticeably dark...but mixing in the genes for grey plus maybe other genes could do that.

I noticed something the other day when I was washing one of my white X-mas Eve babies, she has a few black feathers... Now there were blacks blues, whites and buffs all mixed together when I set these eggs, I ended up with 2 black 1 buff, 3 smutty white/buff, 4 solid white (no black) and then the white one with a few black feathers. Any ideas what would cause that? Have I started a Paint line of my own?

ETA: I only had white roos at the time too. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom