Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

OK...here are some better and more recent pics of Mozart. I want to start a grey pen. I know they are hard to find so I am hoping to find someone who possibly sells eggs or figure out who to breed this guy to. I have black if that will not make the color too dark. I am not sure what he came out of. WIsh I did! Please give me some feed back. His crest is better than the pics..the wind kept blowing it back from his face. Thanks so much! I am showing him this weekend.

Hi everyone - I am almost 300 posts behind! I have a show at the end of this month - some of my show birds do not look so hot after wintering inside the cottage - we had a very long winter (Maine) and I am just now getting them out and so forth. Here are some pics and I need advice from those on here who actually show - bear in mind they all need bathed. Showing is for fun but I also want to represent appropriately. That will happen this week and the chosen ones will be put in the show cages. This is my first time showing roosters and I concerned about the feathers in the Splash's tail and the feathers sticking out in my whites head. Please let me know your thoughts on these 3 Roos: Splash, Blue and White

Don;t worry about the streamers on the white, and I don;t see anything wrong with the splash's tail feathers? In the first photo is looks wry, but not in the other two. The blue's comb and wattles are pretty light.

Hi everyone - I am almost 300 posts behind! I have a show at the end of this month - some of my show birds do not look so hot after wintering inside the cottage - we had a very long winter (Maine) and I am just now getting them out and so forth. Here are some pics and I need advice from those on here who actually show - bear in mind they all need bathed. Showing is for fun but I also want to represent appropriately. That will happen this week and the chosen ones will be put in the show cages. This is my first time showing roosters and I concerned about the feathers in the Splash's tail and the feathers sticking out in my whites head. Please let me know your thoughts on these 3 Roos: Splash, Blue and White

The boys are supposed to have streamers...as far as overall type I like your splash first, then white. Blue boy looks a bit rough like you said and he lacks overall balance...not much tail but that could be from being out of condition? Also can't see comb well, but wattles are big - not much beard? I need more beard in mine as well.
That splash is a sexy dude...great type, nice and wide/cobby/thick...do you have another pic of the white?

Thank you everyone for feedback on the roos - keep it coming - I will take more pics of the white and splash today.
smile.png

So i made the drive to go pick up this cockerel. Decided i should not be so picky when it its so hard to find grey roosters. So i took him home and then discovered this:

Yes his crown is red but his poor beak is twisted. You can't even tell when his beak is closed so i missed it when i was looking him over the first time. But it sure if obvious in this picture. So i won't be breeding him
sad.png
There are a lot of other faults anyway. But he sure is sweet. He just stands still so i can pet him. Here are a couple more pics:

For now I'm going to keep him in a non breeding pen with a pullet who has crooked toes.
Quote:
My special needs boy I got from Catdance is the same way. Total sweetie. He will be put in a pen with my pet quality pullet for a companion. Right now he is with just boys.

I am so far behind....so many posts! Been busy getting our place up and running for warmer weather. All the birds are back out in the coops. FINALLY!
big_smile.png
So nice to see them out enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. I have been conditioning a few birds for a show in Syracuse and its been months. I lost one of those show hens Thursday. She was fine early afternoon, I found her dead late afternoon. Very bizarre and just heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom