Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Okay, anyone remember the 3 hens I posted that I picked up for my friend?... WELL... they have not layed A SINGLE EGG since they moved to her house! That was 3 months ago... Could something be wrong or are they done laying
somad.gif
$100 later! I feel so bad, I showed her the ad and went to get them for her!

PS: one white was laying while she was at my house but now nothing...
When I bought my blue hen Iris, she didn't lay anything for about 2 months.
hmm.png
And I picked her up at the Congress show which was in January, or something like that. Couldn't blame it on the hot weather. lol Now she's laying 6 days out of the week, literally. lol

Hey everyone. We finished our new coop yesterday. We put sand in the run and are still debating on what to use in the coop. Do any of you have a preference on wood chips vs. sand? Thanks a bunch!

Hey everyone. We finished our new coop yesterday. We put sand in the run and are still debating on what to use in the coop. Do any of you have a preference on wood chips vs. sand? Thanks a bunch!
Beautiful coop! I love the sand through out the coop and run, its convincing the DH to let me use it instead of straw and shavings... He goes with whatever is cheapest at the time. I have tried explaining sand doesn't have to be replaced every week, but he doesn't like the initial cost.

Hey, I hatched a silkie chick 8 weeks ago from a blue/black/splash mating, But Im not sure if they are blue or splash? also any guesses on sex?

Has anyone ever had any trouble with chicks zipping but never making it out of the shell? The chicks from my white pair are having a hard time. All the other chicks in the incubator make it out fine but the white ones zip and then give out. I only have one chick from them and it had to be helped out of the shell. Just curious if anyone else ever had this problem. My white hen is still pretty young. She's only been laying a couple of months. Thanks for any help!

Mine will pip and zip, then nothing if the humidity is too high. I guess they get "sticky"? I've been incubating dryer now and haven't had it happen since. Maybe the whites eggs are a little porous and they're taking in more moisture during lockdown or something?

Back
Top Bottom