Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Mine will pip and zip, then nothing if the humidity is too high. I guess they get "sticky"? I've been incubating dryer now and haven't had it happen since. Maybe the whites eggs are a little porous and they're taking in more moisture during lockdown or something?
What do you keep your humidity at while incubating the silkie eggs? I'm still waiting for my hens to lay. I've only had success with 5 silkie eggs so far but they were hatched by hens, not incubator. The two I had in the incubator didn't make it in the end. :-(

Mine will pip and zip, then nothing if the humidity is too high. I guess they get "sticky"? I've been incubating dryer now and haven't had it happen since. Maybe the whites eggs are a little porous and they're taking in more moisture during lockdown or something?

What do you keep your humidity at while incubating the silkie eggs? I'm still waiting for my hens to lay. I've only had success with 5 silkie eggs so far but they were hatched by hens, not incubator. The two I had in the incubator didn't make it in the end. :-(

You know....her eggs are very porous. I've noticed that when we candle them. The humidity is around 60%.

Mama gives silver or gold only to her sons; papa gives his silver/gold to all offspring. Since the obvious pullet is gold, Papa has to have a copy of gold. If the grey is a girl, she got the colour from Papa, meaning he has to be S/s+. If the grey is a boy, he got a copy of silver from Mama. He could be golden, having inherited gold from Papa, or pure silver; it is kind of difficult to tell for sure, and golden looks closer to silver than like gold.

Well there has been an interesting development since I last posted pics. The "gray" doesn't appear to be a gray at all now. She appears to be a blue with a lot of leakage perhaps? I will get pics today - she looks like a completely different bird.

And This is Hannah. Sorry for so many pictures I just wanted to make sure you guys had enough pictures. They are still all very Young, but Healthy and as Natural as I can make them. They free range all day, Get plenty of Fruits and treats, and are on all natural Chick Feed.

This is Clyde, The rescue chicken. We got him from a Flea Market because he was in bad shape and his eye had been pecked. It looks alot better now.
Even though Clyde's comb is a little too big, I do like his toe feathering. I would give him a high protein feed and see if his crest will grow back, looks like its been plucked out.

This is Ricky Bobby, He is the dominant one of the Flock.

This is Ivan, One of the White Roosters.
These two have wrong combs... Little middle (longest) toe feathering and nothing good I would use for breeding. I keep my birds like this with my Father-in-Law's free range flock. He loves "banties" as he calls them and they live out there lives where I can see them every weekend. Even though these look like hatchery stock, they still make great pets!

I try to keep it around 45%. Sometimes it gets a little higher or lower tho. Then I up it to around 65% during lockdown. They've been hatching much better that way. 45% is completely dry for my incubator, I can't get it any lower. I've read most folks dry hatch at around 35-40%, but its SUPER humid here in Va and I live next to a river and pond. My AC is running full blast, and 45 is as low as it'll go. It seems to work for me, thank goodness. My last hatch before I lowered the humidity gave me 2 chicks out of 15 eggs. Every other egg pipped, zipped and quit. One chick turned into a lovely splash pullet. The other was a really pretty dark blue that developed a leg issue, probably due to the sticky eggs.

Back
Top Bottom