Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

It will last as long as you keep using a sizzle for breeding. Frizzle is dominant, but it is best for feather quality to breed a frizzle to a non frizzle, and half if the progeny will be frizzled.

As long as one parent has a copy of the frizzle gene, it can carry on forever. As long as you keep at least one sizzle in every generation, it will continue as long as you want.

How do you pick a chick from a breeder? What is your criteria? Here is one we hatched from Sothern wilkie momma shipping eggs. Unfortunately only one egg was fertilized. So I grabbed two from a local breeder that had hatched the same day. One has a similar crest but the other has almost no poof.

Attachments

• 20190326_171233.jpg
    20190326_171233.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 11
I'd hate to see this thread die...I think critiques would be good. Feel free to critique away. This is a five month-old pullet.

I am very new to the silkie world and am very interested into how you breed good crested well featherd footed silkies... I've been showing silkies for 3 years now and I breed black and blue bearded silkies i need some help in my breeding program to improve the quality of my silkies. I have 2 breeding pens with 1 black cockerel and one blue hen.. I know that's a really bad mix of variety because you will only receive blue colored chicks. Do you have any advice on what to do with that pen? I also have another pen with 3 hens and 1 cock they are all black. I also have a couple hens in not breeding at the moment wich is a Show quality paint pullet witch is laying and a decent quality lavender hen. Thanks so much for helping!

I've magically stumbled across this thread and I must follow along!

I do have my own thread similar to this but I will post here too from now on :)

I am very new to the silkie world and am very interested into how you breed good crested well featherd footed silkies... I've been showing silkies for 3 years now and I breed black and blue bearded silkies i need some help in my breeding program to improve the quality of my silkies. I have 2 breeding pens with 1 black cockerel and one blue hen.. I know that's a really bad mix of variety because you will only receive blue colored chicks. Do you have any advice on what to do with that pen? I also have another pen with 3 hens and 1 cock they are all black. I also have a couple hens in not breeding at the moment wich is a Show quality paint pullet witch is laying and a decent quality lavender hen. Thanks so much for helping!
To improve on quality of crest or foot feathering. Do either the said rooster and hen have good crest or foot feathering? If so breed them together. Grow out the chicks for 8-12 months keep the ones with the best quality your aiming for. Put the best boy with the mother and the best pullets with the father. Keep careful records so you can see who produced what. On the home page there is an article on improving your flock that describes how to keep records and the above.

Back
Top Bottom