Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

That would be interesting for me too. I am thinking about getting Silkies to a Show next year. What are the requirements for a good Show Silkie?

If you are serious about showing silkies you might want to start at the beginning of this thread and read it through. You will get a great education and be able to ask questions and understand the answers. The pictures, questions and responses will make things very clear for you.
thumbsup.gif

I already love them. Since I am new to Silkies (these are my first one). I just wonder, if there are only the few standard colors white, paint, partridge, buff and splash?
I want start breeding my Silkie Hens to 1-2 Frizzle roosters and hope for some awesome colours.They maybe are not the standard then but maybe nice Showbirds too.

There is blue, black, lavender, grey, porcelain, red, columbian, and I have heard of chocolate as well. Some are recognized, some are not. This means that some can go further in show than others. The ones that are not recognized can be put in as AOV and make best of variety but cannt go any higher than that. I hope this helps.

That would be interesting for me too. I am thinking about getting Silkies to a Show next year. What are the requirements for a good Show Silkie?

Actually the recognized colors are Blue, Black, Splash, White, Buff, Grey, and Partridge. Crossed color silkies will come in all sorts of colors you can show AOV and come up with a name for but it won't place high. The common AOV "project" colors that people are actually breeding for are Self blue, Self blue cream, paint, blue partridge, calico, cuckoo, mottled, red and some columbian

Last edited:
I have a question on the possible genetic make-up of my now house chicken. A little pullet hatched on 12/24, she was solid white with a huge vault, The thing that has me confused is while blow drying her from her bath last I discovered quite a few black/charcoal grey feathers on her back. Does this mean her parents (I had everyone together for winter, so I have an idea of who the dad was, but no clue on the hen) were/are paint carriers and she is dominant white? I'm pretty sure her father was the roo in my avatar, he was the only one to have awesome foot feathers like her. Her mom could have been one of my black, blue or white hens... I wasn't able to get any pictures of them, as I believe my phone was stolen (I don't know for sure because the car I lost it in never gets cleaned out, thanks DH...)
Paints have patches of black feathers. Splash have random dark blue feathers, and may be on a white background (not to standard, but it happens). Recessive white can have an occasional black feather or two, and in my experience it is usually on the backs or tails. I've also noticed as the birds get older it happens more frequently.

Hey Alamb1, thank you so much for telling me the name. I appreciate it. I will have to get a hold of them.

Actually the recognized colors are Blue, Black, Splash, White, Buff, Grey, and Partridge. Crossed color silkies will come in all sorts of colors you can show AOV and come up with a name for but it won't place high. The common AOV "project" colors that people are actually breeding for are Self blue, Self blue cream, paint, blue partridge, calico, cuckoo, mottled, red and some Columbian

I think you explained this much better than I did. LOL! After looking at what I wrote it sure didn't make clear sense. Sorry MyLittleChicken, if it was confusing!

Last edited:
While we are discussing color, can anyone tell me what is Silver? I have heard of it but not seen anything about it. Not silver partridge just silver. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom