Silkie chick development or gender??

NW Chickadee

Chirping
Jul 11, 2017
Spokane, WA
I've got 5 precious Silkie chicks - all exactly 3wks old, hatched at the same time. Although I've read (and read, and read, and read some more!!) on sexing these little ones and learned it's next to impossible at this age, I've also read about behaviors and physical traits, and it seems there's a DEFINTE difference between these chicks already (I've posted example photos below;)). Out of my 5 Silkie chicks, 2 stand tall and are much bigger in general. The other 3 sit much lower and are smaller. The smallest of them all also seems to run to one of the 2 larger ones for refuge from another "lower sitting", but larger chick that seems to pick/"peck" on it.
Also, although I understand that both pullets & cockrels have breasts, my 2 that stand taller and are bigger (like the larger one in the photo) have much smaller, if any breasts that can be felt - Is that any indication of sex? Any Silkie experts out there wanna chime in ? The difference in size and behavior at this age is surprising to me (Also, I'm admittley very new at this!). Just curious if the difference I'm seeing is any indication of gender? Are the larger ones simply developing/growing faster? Or, Is this normal and no indication of gender? In my opinion, the last/3rd photo below shows the difference and what I'm seeing, the clearest.

(In the photo from the rear you can see that the little one had a case of "pasty butt" early on that's cleared up nicely with the help of y'all and your advice - Thank you!)
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1082.PNG
IMG_1086.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna vote the smaller is the hen and taller is the cockerel. I had three pullets. One didn't make it. The other two are doing awesome. They mature slowly. The hen is tiny compared to my others. The roo is pretty big. I call him Sasquatch because of his crazy feet and generally goofy presence. He was last to roo. For about three weeks he sounded like a broken squeak toy. Finally did a good roo this morning.

It's just too early to tell. Size at that age is not a reliable indicator and neither is behavior. Silkies are one of the more difficult breeds to sex even when they're older because of the abnormal feathering, and birds with one solid color are even more difficult. Best to enjoy them as they are now and worry about sexing later.

IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG
I vote boys if those pics are of current 3 week old chicks. My chicks bodies were mostly feathered in except the heads at 3 weeks :oops: boys are slower...

I definitely would love a cockerel but probably not FIVE quite as much! (I have 3 teenage boys that give me my fill )

So....I feel like a dummy because I wasn't thinking about how quickly these little ones can change! I checked the date knowing it had been a few days since I took the photos and they were taken when they were 2wks, 2 days old. Today they turn 3 wks.

Here's a few updated pics....(one of the chicks is of one of the stinkers that picks on my little guy (or girl?).....This must be the feathering that I will be seeing as he/she/they/it grow? I think a lot of new Silkie owners (like myself!) get obsessed with the gender! I just don't want to grow to love them all and have to get rid of some, or any really. And who doesn't love a pullett! ❤️

I'm gonna vote the smaller is the hen and taller is the cockerel. I had three pullets. One didn't make it. The other two are doing awesome. They mature slowly. The hen is tiny compared to my others. The roo is pretty big. I call him Sasquatch because of his crazy feet and generally goofy presence. He was last to roo. For about three weeks he sounded like a broken squeak toy. Finally did a good roo this morning.
And I'm so sorry to hear that you'd lost a baby. I lost a chick at 2 days old and it still makes me sad!

Outta 5 chicks, I know I've gotta roo in there somewhere....or everywhere! But I look forward to hearing him roo for the first time! (Or try!)

View attachment 1115789 View attachment 1115790 View attachment 1115791

I definitely would love a cockerel but probably not FIVE quite as much! (I have 3 teenage boys that give me my fill )

So....I feel like a dummy because I wasn't thinking about how quickly these little ones can change! I checked the date knowing it had been a few days since I took the photos and they were taken when they were 2wks, 2 days old. Today they turn 3 wks.

Here's a few updated pics....(one of the chicks is of one of the stinkers that picks on my little guy (or girl?).....This must be the feathering that I will be seeing as he/she/they/it grow? I think a lot of new Silkie owners (like myself!) get obsessed with the gender! I just don't want to grow to love them all and have to get rid of some, or any really. And who doesn't love a pullett! ❤️

A bit better then :) I have 13 silkie chicks and have been obsessed over gender too. Still am lol I was able to tell at 4 weeks some of the boys and 1 girl so far. But most are iffy. Watch for sudden development of combs in the coming weeks. I hope you get a boy and the rest pullets!

Back
Top Bottom