Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
This is my grey splash Silkie mix, Greycie Blue. She is 24 weeks and not an egg yet. Trying so hard to be patient. Does anyone have any ideas what she might be mixed with? I can't for the life of me guess.

Beautiful!
thumbsup.gif
thanks

All of my chickens are just a year old but doing well. It started out as a fun project for my sons & I, so we have a hodgepodge of chickens, chosen for their calm temperament. Hens are-- 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Laced Silver Wyandottes, 1 Black Bantam Frizzle, 1 Bantam Americana & 1 Splash Cochin/Frizzle bantam. 1 White Silkie Roo (non-bearded). So, 3 hens went broody---Mabel, Orpington, hatched 4 chicks, Smoke, Splash Cochin Frizzle, hatched 4, but 2 were killed either by her or other hens, 1 died for no apparent reason & 1 survived & doing great (Peepers), but hen attacks, so it's in the broody box. Rose, Americana, is due to hatch any day.

What I find interesting is that all 5 surviving chicks have the 5 toes & feathered feet. Since this was just a see if anything hatches there were eggs from all the hens because they all share nesting boxes, not because none are available but by preference. I'm going to have to check skin now that I see pullets will carry the Silkie darker coloring & cockerels will be lighter.

Here is a picture of Peepers

she looks to me like she could be mixed with an americana but that is just my guess

That would be my guess too. Well, probably Easter Egger /Silkie cross since EEs are so much more common. The hen in my profile pic is that cross, an your girl looks very similar in stature. We have two Silkie/EEs and they both have that body type. One lays a very light green egg, and the other lays a cream colored one. Both lay eggs that are bigger than bantam size, but smaller than an EE.

My favorite of the 8 we hatched. I'm in love with her/his coloring. Has dark skin and feet, so I'm crossing my fingers that the skin color theory holds out.

Back
Top Bottom