Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
Cool bird.Are any of the crosses laying eggs if so what size.I still have my 7 trying to sell them as I just hatched them to see if they would hatch. I have two silky right now both white the hen won't ever get out of the laying box I have to kick her out the other one I believe is a roo I have him and another bantam I got for my son when I got my chicks this year.I wouldn't mind them if I can sell there chicks to get money for there feed but other then that these smaller sized things seem more like pets then anything.There cool looking and kinda friendly but production is low compared to my others which will prolly stop me from hatching them and keep up with the standards size only hatching wise.

They are not laying but I think it is only going to be a little bit bigger than a silkie with a little more weight. I am also interested to see what size eggs they lay. My neighbor eats her silkies eggs although small she said they are good.

Yeah I know there small I prolly need 3 to make one of the jumbo one I get out of some of my best hens.My silky is the only one that lays like for a month then stops then starts a few month later again also prolly get maybe 80 to 100 eggs a year if I'm lucky.On the + side there about perfect size if you like eggs in your salads.

I agree if you want a brooder or pet chicken silky are great for that.Mine was sitting on 6 eggs today none of them hers.She is so content on hatching a chick I just haven't let her do it.I am mostly afraid she is to small to protect it when it's born from the other ones if there not fond of it.I also don't want her to be depressed if it dies from that.

The only reason I think she may is since I got rid of the top rooster I had she has become more broody and doesn't hang around the others much.She loved the rooster I had but issues being he was getting protective and I had 2 other roosters coming up he had to go.I am hoping one of the new ones will replace him with her in time.

here she is she is a cross from my standard buff laced polish roo a blue sizzle hen (silkie/ bantam frizzle cochin cross) this is when she was a little younger she has more feathers now and the flash from the camera makes her a little lighter but she is VERY black and her feathers shine green and purple in the sun

Here are some of my Silkie crosses.
mom is a white silky and Daddy is a standard Buff Cochin.

[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom