Silkie Duck Thread

OK who is gonna dare me to email Holderread.
barnie.gif

I heard someone say double dog dare. I'll let you know what they say. And while I'm at it, I'll ask where they originated.

Lol!! If only that would work.

I emailed them earlier today. I still haven't heard back yet. Patiently waiting.
caf.gif
<----Minus the coffee. It's too late for coffee.
Don't hold your breath. They don't tend to respond too fast, after all, they probably gets tons of emails.
pop.gif
I'm curious what they say. I'm sticking with Silkie unless they say otherwise.
That's how I'm leaning too. Silky as a descriptor, Silkie as breed.

Here the response!

Hi Stacy,
Part of the reason you have a spelling question may be due to the fact that originally we spelled it Silky...then decided to spell it Silkie. :) Here's what we have to say about the Silkies in our catalog; a Silkie breed bulletin is in the works which has/will have more information about them

Silkie
These extremely rare little ducks have soft lacy plumage similar to Silkie doves. They
were first bred by Darrel Sheraw of Pennsylvania. Due to the nature of their feathers, most
Silkies cannot fly. Typically they weigh between 30 and 38 ounces at maturity. We are breed-
ing them in Black, Blue Fawn, Gray (mallard colored), Pastel, Snowy and White. Females are
capable of laying 50-125/year cream, blue, gray or black eggs weighing 20-26 ounces/dozen.
We have found them to be surprisingly hardy and adaptable to Western Oregon’s long, cold,
wet winters. We enclose them in well-bedded housing at night, but they are allowed to range
outside during the day, even in winter.

As far as more colors...I think it's safe to say that Dave is fond of working on various colors...and we do occasionally have Silkies of colors other than the ones listed. Hope this helps! --Wanita at HWFarm

The Silkie/Silky/Slinkie question has been answered!

Here the response!

Hi Stacy,
Part of the reason you have a spelling question may be due to the fact that originally we spelled it Silky...then decided to spell it Silkie. :) Here's what we have to say about the Silkies in our catalog; a Silkie breed bulletin is in the works which has/will have more information about them

Silkie
These extremely rare little ducks have soft lacy plumage similar to Silkie doves. They
were first bred by Darrel Sheraw of Pennsylvania. Due to the nature of their feathers, most
Silkies cannot fly. Typically they weigh between 30 and 38 ounces at maturity. We are breed-
ing them in Black, Blue Fawn, Gray (mallard colored), Pastel, Snowy and White. Females are
capable of laying 50-125/year cream, blue, gray or black eggs weighing 20-26 ounces/dozen.
We have found them to be surprisingly hardy and adaptable to Western Oregon’s long, cold,
wet winters. We enclose them in well-bedded housing at night, but they are allowed to range

As far as more colors...I think it's safe to say that Dave is fond of working on various colors...and we do occasionally have Silkies of colors other than the ones listed. Hope this helps! --Wanita at HWFarm

Thanks for getting answers for us!!!
smile.png

Here the response!

Hi Stacy,

Silkie

clap.gif
Yay! I don't have to change the name spelling on this thread then or anything on my website/facebook/or BYC

Back
Top Bottom