Silkie Feathered Peachick

lovepeafowluk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Has anyone had any experience with Silkie feathered Peachicks .... (a peachick with feathers like a silkie chicken)

Hello!
frow.gif

Sorry, I don't believe such a thing as a silkie pea exists...

Close up of the wing and back of a eight week old Opal peachick that is exhibiting only what I would call silkie feathering (as the feathers seem to lack barbicels)

Age and photo of the bird in question would be helpful but i suspect what you are seeing is the down that sometimes stays at the end of their first feathers when they come in, i see it here and guinea keets have it also , i have keets that many times looking like frizzle chickens when they first feather out, it ain't nothing but a thang
wink.png

@mandyok isn't this like the opal spalding chick I included with the two peachicks you bought?

Anyway, last year I hatched a few opal spalding WE or split to WE, and one had this silkie type chicken feathering. At first I noticed it was falling behind in size with its siblings so I moved it with the younger chicks thinking that being the biggest one would help it out. It was being fed the same thing as my other peachicks and it was not in tight quarters, even though I felt that it looked messed up. I do not recall if it was like that from a young age but it did stay like that through the winter. I too thought it would molt and be normal. It remained small and was unable to fly up to perch due to the silkie feathers. I had to catch it every night and put it on the perch but it was not always able to stay on the perch. Mandyok bought that opal spalding WE's sister (who was normal) and a bronze WE, and I included the opal spalding WE with the silkie feathers just to see if anything would become of it. She did inform me that it died, which was not much of a surprise to either of us.

To the OP, a full body picture would help, and do you have other chicks of the same age to compare it to?

No difference in size and growth rate as yet, at the moment it is with others hatched at same time, I noticed feathers were different within a week or so of hatching. The diet and environment is rearing others with no sight of anything similar. Definitely not attached down causing this.

No difference in size and growth rate as yet, at the moment it is with others hatched at same time, I noticed feathers were different within a week or so of hatching. The diet and environment is rearing others with no sight of anything similar. Definitely not attached down causing this.

you baby needs a dust bath that is why its feathers look this way IMO

Nothing helped mine so it would be interesting if this was a defect specific to opals. That is how my chick looked, just smaller. But I suggest trying what you can to "fix" it.

Back
Top Bottom