Silkie housing

Well if you have the Cochins you have some sweet birds. I am planning on both together . That's because I could not make up my mind.
Yeah I do have some cochins. They are cute sweet lil buggers. I plan to keep a mix of cochins, silkies and d'uccles for my broody house. Just depends how many of which turn out to be pullets.
tongue.png

my coop was made up of 2 4 ft x 3 ft sections it is 2 feet off the ground i have 4 birds 1 roo and three hens. so i have the 24 sqft of coverage under the coop in the run plus a 32 sqft of uncovered run so a total of 56 sqft of run they are happy mine are a year and a half old it took them about a month for all of them to get comfortable with the ramp but they will so dont worry.

well not really only thing i did was for the first i think like 3 days i had to put them half way up or down the ramp but even then it was only at morning when they first went out or at night when they go in for the night but during the day after a couple hours day one they just started to try it them selves and they just built up the courage i guess to do it by themselves so it didnt take long

I have 4 silkies. My chicken door is a little over 2 ft above the ground with a ramp, but my birds really don't use it even my silkies are able to get enough air to get in. When they were younger they would all snuggle in the corner my bantams would join them sometimes. It was so cute <3 Now that they are older though they use the roost :) As long as its not too high they will use it, and if you find they are having a problem you can build them a ramp to the roost.

i think whether silkies roost or climb or not just depends on whether they're used to it, and whether you have bigger birds to show them the way. i started with 15 chicks, 6 of them silkies. all the silkies roost which means they climb up two planks to get to their 4' high roost. (none of the birds have to fly up to the roost). they have no problem with it. they'll occasionally sleep on the ground, but they're perfectly fine going up on a roost. OP didn't say whether the 5 silkies are you only birds, probably so. but if you have other breeds the silkies will catch on (eventually).

Back
Top Bottom