Silkie is a Roo, but he hasn't crowed yet. Any Tips to make him not crow. I would love to not have to rehome him.

Jan 18, 2021
I have a 3 month old beautiful male silkie too :( I love him. But I like in a residential area, and our city laws in no uncertain words. No Roosters.
Im in Orange County, CA, and I dont want to just bring him back to the breeder I got him from in Norco, as I don't know what will happen to him necessarily, my other male I got from there years ago, they took back and used it to breed. That was a big male Wyandotte, and he was still there a few months ago. But he is a wonderful, the most gentle of my silkie babies right now, I have older silkies that have integrated into the flock, and He loves to be held by us humans and runs up to us and isn't aggressive or protective of the hens, but I know the crow is coming and I know I am going to have to find someone. I had a friend who can have a rooster, but they only have larger hens only, Plymouth, RIReds, Orpington, and Leg horn, and we aren't sure how his larger hens will take to a tiny little Silkie Rooster. So I was just putting it out here, if someone would love him and treat him well, Like I said he is a lovey dovey silkie male only 3 months.
I have tried on craigslist, but I wasn't comfortable with the people inquiring, the wrong vibe.

Any help? or Any ideas on how to maybe prevent the crow if it hasn't started yet?
He is the brown baby boy.

Attachments

• IMG_3136.JPG
    IMG_3136.JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3132.JPG
    IMG_3132.JPG
    516.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3135.JPG
    IMG_3135.JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 3
You are stuck between a rock, and a hard spot. He is too old to caponize, There is a procedure that can alter his vocal cords, air duct in his throat. I highly recommend to stay away from that severe injury solution.:hit
I would take him back to the person you got him from. Exchange for a hen, and accept it as best solution :hugs
The breeder may find someone willing to take/searching for a grown Cockerel over a chick. :idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

If there is a way I am sure a lot more people would keep roosters. So sorry, there is not more I can tell you. Find him a home where he can be himself. It might take a little time but you might still have a couple of months before he starts crowing.
Speak and it shall happen :( he started really "cawing"today.. the morning after I wrote this post. that bugger. he is barely 3 months... I think he is just finding his voice, so it will be really happening in aday or two perhaps.
I am definitely looking for a home ASAP.

Rehoming him would be the best option, but it can be difficult to find good homes for roosters. You can try a no-crow collar on him for the time being. There’s mixed feelings on how humane no-crow collars are...you’ll have to do your research on it if you’re considering one. It won’t eliminate the crowing but it will prevent him from crowing loudly.

As for rehoming him to someone with standard hens, in my experience Silkie roos are capable of holding their own with standard hens. At one point I had three Silkie cockerels that were causing havoc on the silkie pullets. I ended up letting the “Three Musketeers” out to free range with my main flock of standard hens and two Ameraucana roosters. It all ended well and the Three Musketeers did fine with the main flock (of course, there was some chasing and pecking in the beginning but nothing too serious). It was amusing to see how completely flustered the Ameraucana roosters would get when the persistent little silkie cockerels chased after and mated their hens.

Back
Top Bottom