My Cream Legbar Rooster doesn't crow since he has his own girls.

Jerintho

Chirping
Mar 18, 2023
I bought a nice Cream Legbar Rooster from 8 months a couple of weeks ago. 🐓 (His name is Sir Roderick 😁)
When we got him home, he was alone. He looked very unhappy and miserable. He came from a group where he was bullied, so he had several scars on his comb and he had no tail...
He felt lonely and was crowing every time when he saw movement somewhere.
It was never ment to keep him alone, but the hens I ordered, are 🐣 right now and will only come in August.
So we decided to give him some girls for now. We bought 2 buff Orpington hens from the same age. (Antoinette and Beatrice)
The moment he saw them, he fell in love 💕
He is very lovely for the ladies, feeds them, protects them and the make a lot of happy noises.
BUT... Since the day the ladies came, he didn't crow anymore????
Is this normal? 🤔

There are no other roosters or chickens in the surrounding.
I can't see any lice or other problems.
He eats very goods, drinks as well...
But doesn't crow!

Attachments

• IMG_20230411_162231.jpg
    IMG_20230411_162231.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 54
They all look so cute. :love

That is so funny. It sounds like most people's dream, but whatever reason he isn't doing it, I'll bet that he will start up again.

Do you think he hasn't established that he is above them in ranking? Does he mate with them? I know that sometimes they won't crow if they feel like someone is above them in the hierarchy. Maybe he is thinking of the hens as his "superiors" and once he realizes fully they are his hens he will start again?

Either that or he is so happy he forgot about crowing! :rolleyes:

They all look so cute. :love

That is so funny. It sounds like most people's dream, but whatever reason he isn't doing it, I'll bet that he will start up again.

Do you think he hasn't established that he is above them in ranking? Does he mate with them? I know that sometimes they won't crow if they feel like someone is above them in the hierarchy. Maybe he is thinking of the hens as his "superiors" and once he realizes fully they are his hens he will start again?

Either that or he is so happy he forgot about crowing! :rolleyes:
I saw him mating with Antoinette and Beatrice is lower in the order, so I don't think that is the problem.

Maybe he is tiered or indeed to happy 😁

But I love the sound... I hope he will start again later 😄

Perhaps he is only crowing in the early mornings before you are out and about?
Count your blessings, that he is beautiful, quiet, and kind to his hens.
Maybe you are right... But even my son didn't hear him crowing this weekend.

And I really do count my blessings!
He is a wonderful boy. Nice to his girls and gentle and nice to me!
He really is a gentleman 😍

Back
Top Bottom