Silkie / Japanese Bantam Crosses

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I did a little research and saw some sites talk about them being bred in Europe and England with growing popularity. However, they mentioned they were not known of in the United States yet. Does anyone breed these crosses? Anyone have any pictures?

I've been raising silkies for a couple of years, and I am thinking of cross breeding them with my japanese bantams I have started. I was wondering what to expect, and what is expected of the offspring... and what to look for while breeding them?

So if you have some or are interested or know anything... please share!

I guess I should add, I am really just trying to introduce the silkie feathering into the line.

Last edited:
Well, we'll find out... our black Silkie roo mixed with our yellow black tipped Japanese bantam... feathered feet, markings like dad, but no silkie feathers.
46293_10200283115100501_847170946_n.jpg

I believe the black tailed japanese have yellow legs right? if they do, then yo have produce sex links...

Females will have Black skin and males will have yellow skin. check to see if you are segregating this type of chicks and report back to us.

thanks
Marvin

I know this thread is kind of old, BUT I have 8 chicks (well 2 1/2 months old) that are from a black japanese bantam hen and silkie roo. They look like Jap bantams with black skin. They have no feathers on their legs, no crests, nothing. Some do have black and yellow skin. I believe all their beaks are black and most of their combs are black. I could get some pictures of them if ya'll want to see them.

Well our Japanese bantam girls are all grown up and unfortunately our male is about 5 weeks behind them...lol...
So we've got this handsome red/buff roo, who's been making time with our girls. We'll see what the chicks look like March 17th...
1f450.png
(double high five)

so I decided to breed milkshake, my Japanese bantam X silkie:

with my partridge sizzle girl timothy;

this means the babies are 25% Japanese, 75% silkie. im really liking the results. I plan on selling hatching eggs this summer:

If I was you, I wouldn't introduce it from a silkie. There are silkie seramas and cochins and introducing them that way would be better.

Back
Top Bottom