Silkie Pullet or Cockerel?

UrbanSilkies

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2015
Hi everyone,

I currently have 4 silkies, 3 of which I am 99% sure are girls, but the fourth I am not so sure about. She is the oldest and at the top of the pecking order, but she acts like a girl. I used to have a silkie rooster, and she acts completely different from him. She is quiet, walks like a hen (she doesn't have the rooster "pose"), etc. The silkie rooster that I used to have crowed at 5 months, but this silkie is now 6 months old and hasn't crowed. I really hope she is a girl because she is a sweetheart.

For some reason the pictures I posted didn't appear.... Here are the pictures of the silkie in question.

I hope so! I was a bit worried because she has some longer crest feathers (as you can see in the pictures), but they stand straight up, and she acts like a little girl. In this picture, I had trimmed her crest, but evenly everywhere.

Last edited:
Can't see her comb at all. Could you tie back the crest feathers just long enough to get a good picture of her comb development. Silkies are very difficult to sex and without seeing her comb I wouldn't even make an educated guess. I have also noticed the spikey feathers in her crest.

I will try to take a picture tomorrow, they are sleeping right now. This picture isn't of her, but it looks exactlyexactly like her when she is wet (the silkie in the picture is a hen).

Last edited:
In your first set of pictures, those streamers popping off the back of the crest would indicate that your bird is a lovely white cockerel. My Silkie roosters are very feminine too. They have large crests and small combs and wattles. But, they crow and mate their hens, looking girly all the while.

In your first set of pictures, those streamers popping off the back of the crest would indicate that your bird is a lovely white cockerel. My Silkie roosters are very feminine too. They have large crests and small combs and wattles. But, they crow and mate their hens, looking girly all the while.

Turns out that "she" is a male, since my hen's eggs are fertilized, but he's never crowed and I've never seen him mating with her, which is weird. Anyways, I'm glad he doesn't crow since if he did I wouldn't be able to keep him.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom