silkie Rooster cross breeding with rhode Island Red?

pamkerley

Hatching
9 Years
May 16, 2010
We ended up with a silkie rooster. I am glad we have it and the kids want to try to get babies. Do I need to worry about the rooster "mating" with my Rhode Island, Americauna or barred rock chickens?

They will mate with the bigger hens, i have a silkie roo who mated with my bigger RIR's all the time and this is what came out
they dont look as good as they do now, they were 8 weeks old on those pictures and the little red one on the bottom was 5 weeks old thats why he or she looks smaller.
Btw my silkie roo is Splash Blue, and well my RIR is red ofcourse so Idk where do those whiteish chicks got the color from, but none of them are silkiie fetather.
DSCN0573.jpg

DSCN0580.jpg

DSCN0578.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

Update: My Silkie x RIR cross turned out to be a hen. :) She is very sweet, a fantastic mother, and a good layer of medium-large brown eggs. Wish I had purchased the other two that were for sale at the time!

I realize this an old post, but it is relevant to my current problem. I recently lost all of my hens in a tragic and unfortunate event. They were unable to get away from a wild animal and were not used to the ramp that leads to the safe hen house. :( Anyway, I purchased 3 full grown leghorn hens this weekend and introduced them to my only surviving silky rooster. They fought and pecked him, one feisty lady in particular. I am very disappointed as I was hoping to get him some sweet company since he has been so lonely. He's around 6 months old, so he will still grow a little, but he's a small breed. I am worried they will never get along, and I'm wondering if they ever do if they can mate. Since you stated you had a silky roo who mates larger breeds, I am hoping you have some thoughts on this. I appreciate any help.

With chickens, any introductions of new birds needs to be down slowly. They need a 'get to know you' phase, where they can see each other, but not touch. Gradually increase the time together. Then start to allow supervised interactions in a large run. Only intervene if someone is injured to the point of bleeding. They may always go after him, since he will always be much smaller than the Leghorns. Chickens do tend to pick on what they see as a smaller/weaker chicken.

I'm just now losing my RIR X Silkie crosses at 11 years old. I'm down to two. These were some of my favorite chickens of all that I've ever had. They were large enough to lay a decent egg, had the silkie temperament and broodiness, were very good mothers, and the roo was as sweet as he could be.

Enjoy your rir silkie crosses and I hope you like them as well as I did. I wish I had access to more!

Back
Top Bottom