silkie sexing

Any help?

If it were a little older it would be easier but right now I'm leaning towards pullet but could you post a side body shot of it standing? Also thank you for understanding that I said "young" not "you" when my phone decided to try and finish my sentence for me.

From what I can see it's comb looks pretty small and flat and I don't see wattle development. I also don't see any obvious streamers but sometimes they show later. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer right now.

If it were a little older it would be easier but right now I'm leaning towards pullet but could you post a side body shot of it standing? Also thank you for understanding that I said "young" not "you" when my phone decided to try and finish my sentence for me.

From what I can see it's comb looks pretty small and flat and I don't see wattle development. I also don't see any obvious streamers but sometimes they show later. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer right now.

Thank you for your help! I'll see if I can get one tomorrow. :)

You're welcome hope it turns out that I'm right for you please continue to update us about it every couple of weeks so I can give you a better idea. Hopefully others will also chime in. I've never owned one that dark so we'll see if that's throwing me off.

Just for fun! Here is my precious little partridge silkie. My first silkie ever! I have no idea how to sex silkies, so I am trying to learn as much as I can until he/she gets big enough to figure it out!! Are there any color patterns to look for as far as male/female? Fast feathering/slow feathering? Since this is the only chick I have of this breed, I really have nothing to compare to! Enjoy his/her little pics! About 1.5 weeks old.

Way too young to tell, its cute though!

The fast/slow feather sexing method doesn't work with Silkies (and only works on breeds specifically bred for that trait). However, with partridge, you can look for differences in plumage pattern/color (which will become apparent after the chicks go through their juvenile molts). Females are typically a more drab blonde/brown. While males tend to show vibrant shades of orange and red. I say typically because some females can be more on the red/orange side. I recommend going to Google, search images of partridge Silkies and have a look at the difference between males and females. Once you see how obviously different they are, you'll know what to look for :)

Way too young to tell, its cute though!

The fast/slow feather sexing method doesn't work with Silkies (and only works on breeds specifically bred for that trait). However, with partridge, you can look for differences in plumage pattern/color (which will become apparent after the chicks go through their juvenile molts). Females are typically a more drab blonde/brown. While males tend to show vibrant shades of orange and red. I say typically because some females can be more on the red/orange side. I recommend going to Google, search images of partridge Silkies and have a look at the difference between males and females. Once you see how obviously different they are, you'll know what to look for
smile.png
Wonderful!! Thank you! I can't wait until it's old enough! I also have some silkie eggs in the incubator, so this will be helpful for them as well!

Just for fun, here's one of my chicks. I usually don't bother because Silkies are just so darn tricky, but y'all can have a crack at it! Hatch date was January 1st. I have my suspicions and I'm interested in seeing what everyone here thinks
big_smile.png

(PS- I'm hoping its a BOY, so it'll probably end up being a GIRL!)

Back
Top Bottom