silkie sexing

Can anyone tell me if this is a Rooster? I bought 4 silkie chicks this one looks totally different from the others - always runs in front of the others for food - chest bumps with one of the other suspected roos - if one of the other birds finds a bug he will charge after it and try to steal it - I cant have roosters here so am trying to rehome before they start crowing - I have a new home lined up for any roos i might have but this one is the most likely roo so far. - am I right? Just want to be sure before I say goodbye....He is about 10-12 weeks old

Can anyone tell me if this is a Rooster? I bought 4 silkie chicks this one looks totally different from the others - always runs in front of the others for food - chest bumps with one of the other suspected roos - if one of the other birds finds a bug he will charge after it and try to steal it - I cant have roosters here so am trying to rehome before they start crowing - I have a new home lined up for any roos i might have but this one is the most likely roo so far. - am I right? Just want to be sure before I say goodbye....He is about 10-12 weeks old
I'm not fully certain that is a rooster. Is it a bearded or non-bearded? I'd like to see a close up of the comb with the bird front-on looking.

He/she is suppose to be bearded - they didnt have any non bearded parents there - the other three have bushy heads and beards but this one is a little different - late bloomer maybe? its definitely the most aggressive and attentive - will try and get a better picture when i get home from work for you.

here are some pictures of the comb on Carl/carla - and some of him with the other three - trying to sex all of them but thought for sure carl was a roo as he/she is so different from the rest.... the two little ones on the right in the group picture are 2 weeks younger then the ones on the left. yellow beak on the left is my favorite but he or she has a red comb so am worried might be a roo as well just put a pic of that ones comb at the end

below are pictures of my third suspect (am going to cry if they all turn out to be roos!) this one is one of the older ones so about 12 -14 weeks- I am leaning toward roo but not sure -has a lot of pin feathers on crest now - he is in the back of the pile in the last pick

Last edited:
Do all Silkies have feathered legs? I got one from TSC that does have a small bit of feathering. But my daughter bought some, at the same TSC, but they are a bit older. She ended up giving me 4 of hers. But, hers don't have the feathers.... why?

They are *supposed* to have feathered legs. But, its very common for hatchery Silkies to not conform to the SOP. Hatcheries breed for quantity, not quality...

here are some pictures of the comb on Carl/carla - and some of him with the other three - trying to sex all of them but thought for sure carl was a roo as he/she is so different from the rest.... the two little ones on the right in the group picture are 2 weeks younger then the ones on the left. yellow beak on the left is my favorite but he or she has a red comb so am worried might be a roo as well just put a pic of that ones comb at the end

below are pictures of my third suspect (am going to cry if they all turn out to be roos!) this one is one of the older ones so about 12 -14 weeks- I am leaning toward roo but not sure -has a lot of pin feathers on crest now - he is in the back of the pile in the last pick

Thank you for these pictures- they enlarged well and I got a pretty good look.
If any are males, I would say Carl/Carla might be. The comb is protruding more than the flock-mates, which are definitely females. My guess would be about 70% chance it's a cockerel.
Yellow beak is, I think, female. What color is the skin on her? She seems to have a lighter skin and beak, my yellow beaked and white-skinned pullets usually do have pinkish combs- but my silkies are all black-skinned. The other thing that makes me think female, is that on males, you don't usually have to hold back the "puff" crest in order to see the comb.

The last one that is older, if you are seeing what looks like streamers coming in then it will be apparent pretty soon. I think I see what you are talking about coming in on the crest. I agree it's a tricky one because the comb really isn't huge on that bird.

Back
Top Bottom