silkie sexing

Pics
Ok thanks. Well that would be disapointing if Bernadette is a boy she/he is very sweet. And one more thing the photos don't really show this but Selene, Bernadette, and Drusilla are all alot smaller than Nancy. I'd like to hope Bernadette isn't a boy but well see. Thanks again.
Bernadette definitely looks like a boy, the comb is wide and he already has wattles coming in. Try to get some new pictures of Nancy and Drusilla's combs. They are hard to see in the pictures because the combs are the same color they are.

My two cuddly bird-Yetis are 3 months old. One of them is a showgirl. I'm hoping they're old enough to be definitively-ish sexed.

Subject #1 "Lister"

I have been referring to Lister as "he," but I think I have a pullet here after all.

Subject #2 "Eva"

While I was taking pictures of Eva, I noticed his face has suddenly developed a nice deep maroon hue, plus he has some shiny feathers on his body. I'm now fairly sure my showgirl is a showboy, but I'll still post pictures for verification.

I've read to look for feathers on the crest pointing backwards, but most of Eva's crest definitely points forwards.
hmm.png
I noticed very small wattles, though.

There aren't many shiny feathers on Eva but I think they're just clear enough here, a couple on his back and front part of his wings.

Eva is noticeably larger than Lister (and even the silkie that raised him), but I'm chalking that up to being a showgirl; I assume he has some larger-sized birds in his recent ancestors. However, Eva also tends to be more aggressive than Lister. It's so funny to see him fighting with a huge hen through the fence and trying to look intimidating without any hackle to raise.

This is one of my sweet little white silkies, Ivory. She? was 5 weeks old in these pictures. :)

The last one I'd guess pullet also 8 week old pretty seems like a cockerel can't see the black one close enough
I raise silkies too and what I've noticed is the females have a perfectly rounded crest where the males if seen from the side view their crests tend to swoop backwards. Hope this helps and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom