silkie sexing

Cockerels or Pullets?

#1 super sweet , more of a single comb

#2 Not so sweet, walnut -looking comb

You may be surprised but I think #1 is a roo and #2 is a pullet. With my silkies, temperament didn't determine gender. My little hen will take down my German Shepard if he messes with her, (at least in her own little mind). But, I'm not sure of the ages. #2s head poof seems fuller and rounder to me. Pics can be deceiving. I'd hold on until you have a squat or a crow. That's how I knew for sure with mine.

You may be surprised but I think #1 is a roo and #2 is a pullet.  With my silkies, temperament didn't determine gender.  My little hen will take down my German Shepard if he messes with her, (at least in her own little mind).  But, I'm not sure of the ages.  #2s head poof seems fuller and rounder to me.  Pics can be deceiving.  I'd hold on until you have a squat or a crow.  That's how I knew for sure with mine.

Yes #2 does have a bigger poof, also slightly larger wattles...not sure how much that matters. They are 10 weeks old

Great pictures! !!!
263a.png

It's ok if he's a roo. We can still keep him, thankfully. He's such an adorable little guy & so full of personality. He's my little buddy! I just hope he isn't a mean roo when he's older.

Back
Top Bottom