Silkie Thread! Talk about your Silkies and post pics of your Silkies

Quote:
Somethings not right there. This program is run by the usda, they HAVE to come out and test you, im pretty sure they cant refuse. Usually states have several different testers. Mine tests a couple different counties. I would send another email to them. You need to make it clear that you want to be in the program, NPIP. I would send an email to your state contact.

Dr. Nan Hanshaw, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Animal Health & Diagnostic Services,
2301 North Cameron Street, Harrisburg 17110-9408. Phone: (717)783-8555 Ext. 212, FAX: (717)787-1868
E-mail: [email protected].

In some states its next to impossible to get tested or is so cost prohibitive that its still unavailable. I'm trying to remember who it was that said the cost would run in to the hundreds. With budget cuts states that don't have poultry as a big industry are more than likely cutting back in the NPIP area.

All I do is call the cell number of the woman that does my area and she makes an appt for when she's gonna be in my area. I'm getting retested August 31st since i'm due in October. They test a certain number of your birds, not all of them, and it's free unless you want the paperwork that goes along with it and of course I would and it's only $25.

Maybe it's because we have all these Tyson barns around here, I don't know. I was told a few years ago there was a sickness and they had to drive around all over and test all the places they found that had chickens and dispose of the sick ones. Thats alot of work because there are alot of country homes in the back woods around here with farm animals that aren't registered.

That was down in SE TN and it was for ILT that probably started with the poultry houses.

And to add not every state is the same. As you already stated its a percentage of your birds that they test now. Two years ago it was every bird that was not broody or were older than four months. But since they've found zero incidences of disease they cut back the testing numbers. Some states are totally free, others charge for every copy, some have a farm call charge. Its different every where, that's why the State Vet or State Ag Dept should be contacted for testing information.

Last edited:
You need to check to see what is involved with becoming a tester. In Maryland if they have enough people interested they will have a class that is run my the Dept Of Ag rep and then those people who pass are certified to become state testers. The NPIP program is not the same as the state testing for AI & Pullorum. It is a program that is a for those who want to be monitored. ie get the birds tested at precise times, every 90 days and such. Not the same as someone who shows once a year and gets the birds tested before the show than waits until the next year to get it done again. You have to fill in the box on your testing sheet and tell them that you want to be in the monitoring program, then abide by the rules of the program. Once you are in the NPIP program you will get an id number. Some people get confused with this, they think they are in the NPIP program just because they get the birds tested by the state, they are two separate programs.

Some of my Sweeties
tongue.png

Lav Rooster
56059_lavenders04.jpg

Lav Hens
56059_lavenders05.jpg

July Hatch
56059_july2010hatch5.jpg

56059_july2010hatch4.jpg

Last edited:
Those babies are just too cute. Too bad they don't stay small and fuzzy longer. Here is a pick of my new roo. I found him at the fair and he was free. I am pairing him with a reg silkie hen.
47992_img01150.jpg

since this is the silkie thread....I have a question why do some silkies not have the poof on they head....mine do...but i got mine from a guy that these would not make the cut for showing.....little imperfections.....but i love them the same
love.gif
....just wondering

What beautiful Silkies you have Freckle Face Farm! What part of Florida are you in? I'm in Jacksonville. What colors do you raise?

I think it's a miracle you got three of them to sit as if they are posing for a formal portrait! I have found you can't herd cats or chickens.
When I take a picture of mine all I seem to get is the South end of a North bound fuzz butt.

Back
Top Bottom