Silkie thread!

Howdy! I am searching for some silkies...I need to thin out some of my roos-I am up for a trade? What do I need to look for when obtaining a silkie. I want started pullets or laying hens...they don't have to be show quality..ours are just pets-my daughter is dying for some..

Cute pictures. Love your broody hen's coloring.

Love this bottom picture it looks like such a soothing place for them to relax in.

Pam is Shasta okay? I hope so. I noticed my roo going after one of my silkie babies that I think is a boy. I hope it doesn't get ugly! Hoping all is good with Shasta.

She seems fine. I put the Showgirl in with the large chickens during the day. Had him with them at night, but he managed to get out, and with the Silkies. I'm thinking there might not be a lot of romance going on in the Silkie pile, so I let him stay. The other LF would never let him snuggle and get warm. They don't pile. Thanks for asking! She's my little baby
love.gif

Yes I did I just got back...there were over 2000 birds...all bantams...but not very many silkies...lots of white but...
Also a lot of the silkies looked huge to me...I wonder if they were all just fluff...there was some beautiful paints...about 8 and some great buffs

When I went to my first and only show (so far, and just to look) they were huge, too! Mine are about 1/4 the size (at 6 months). And some of them said cockerels/pullets!!

I have 3 wild chickens (held since babies), and my sweet, docile Silkies. My wild chickens flap, scratch, yell (well, really only one), but they never bite. One of my silkies BIT me!!! It was so light, I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't been looking! I saw his little beak go around my finger. No pressure at all.
D.gif

Here is Icelynn, or Ice for short
love.gif
My new blue pullet

Lovely!!
Thanks guys! I live in California but it does get down to the 30s here. I have the ability to heat my coop. My coop is warmer than my house. Should I wait until spring to hatch new silkies and some bantam easter eggers? I can get some eggs at the end of Jan.
I live in the CA mountains. Gets down in the teens here. I hatch all winter. They will go out side at about 7 weeks and have a light for about a week. Then nothing... Haven't lost one yet. I do small hatches as I understand that too many piling on top of each other can cause some suffocation of the smaller ones. Also my home gets down in the 50's at night so they are used to some cold. I turn the light out at night at 4 wks. indoors. It helps build their feathering.
r yalls chickens still laying?
Mine are all laying good.
WOW! Very nice birds!
On behalf of us all. Thank you!
Howdy! I am searching for some silkies...I need to thin out some of my roos-I am up for a trade? What do I need to look for when obtaining a silkie. I want started pullets or laying hens...they don't have to be show quality..ours are just pets-my daughter is dying for some..
Hope you find what you're looking for. You won't be sorry. :D
I have 3 wild chickens (held since babies), and my sweet, docile Silkies. My wild chickens flap, scratch, yell (well, really only one), but they never bite. One of my silkies BIT me!!! It was so light, I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't been looking! I saw his little beak go around my finger. No pressure at all.
D.gif
He must not have had any intent. I have had a bloody hand from an angry silkie roo. Fortunately, I've only had one like that and he is gone!

Is this a normal walnut comb? I googled it to see, but couldn't really tell. I thought they were more wrinkled, like a brain. I'm not keeping this guy, I don't think, but want to know as my other's are growing their combs. Thanks!

Is this a normal walnut comb? I googled it to see, but couldn't really tell. I thought they were more wrinkled, like a brain. I'm not keeping this guy, I don't think, but want to know as my other's are growing their combs. Thanks!
It is a relatively common variant. Not what I aim for, but not something I would cull for, either.

I'm searching for some silkies...does anyone breed/sale in or around Batesville AR? I want hens/pullets that are laying or going to start laying. I don't have to have show quality..thanks!! Beautiful birds
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom