Silkie thread!

Ivermectin will not kill Cecil worms nor tapeworms, and large roundworms have been showing resistance to the product due to its overuse as a miteacide in chickens.

Now that I think about it- I used the same brooder for them in the house for them when they were babies (I kept them in the house till they were 4 months old, cuz of the heat) It was different time of the year, not sure if there were mice in here or not. They didn't bother them.

Pam

Amazingly one of the best mousers around are guinea fowl. Possibly you might find someone who has one or two pets they would part with to clean up your rodent problem.......I had noticed several times that mice were too close to my. silkie broodies outdoors.

Amazingly one of the best mousers around are guinea fowl. Possibly you might find someone who has one or two pets they would part with to clean up your rodent problem.......I had noticed several times that mice were too close to my. silkie broodies outdoors.

That's a good idea. I'm afraid they would get secondary poison tho. It says it doesn't cause that, but I don't want to take chances. That would be interesting to have guineas in the bedroom!

I posed this question to the Silkie group on FB- but gonna put it here, too for opinions. It would probably go int the brooder section on BYC, but it applies to Silkie personality. Here it is:
Tossing something around in my mind. I have some chicks due to hatch soon (fingers crossed!). We have mice. I'm afraid they will contaminate their food, or hurt them while they are tiny. SOOOO. I'm thinking about bringing in a 9 month old pullet to stay with them to foster them, and keep the mice away (they will still have a heat lamp on one side. It's a really big thing. Anyway. This is the only one that has come close to being broody. She sits on her eggs maybe a day or two, then loses interest. I hope she takes them under her wing. I'll need to watch them carefully, in case she pecks them, esp on the head. Wonder if the chicks will be so desperate to be with her, they won't get under the heat lamp? Guess I will find out! Anyone every put a pullet that hasn't had a babies with chicks? Someone said that a friend of hers had a grown Silkie get pecked by mice piece by piece... I had thought mice wouldn't go near grown silkies- but I was wrong! agh. Allergic to my cats, so I can't bring them in. Plus, the mice have poison in their system. I did it as a last resort, it's helped some. I worry about a new thing every day over those chicks! My first hatch (knock on wood) I can't close the whole brooder if I could close the top completely. Trying to figure out a safe way to clamp the heater with door closed. Worry, Worry, Worry. I didn't worry this much when I was pregnant, I don't think!!

Thanks, Pam

Here is the brooder in question. The wire cage has pretty small squares. I just need to worry about the top, I guess Then, I will find something new to worry about-
hmm.png

The black thin is a rubber floor mat to put the food and water on- trying to keep shavings out of the feeders/waterer

Here is the brooder in question. The wire cage has pretty small squares. I just need to worry about the top, I guess Then, I will find something new to worry about-
hmm.png

The black thin is a rubber floor mat to put the food and water on- trying to keep shavings out of the feeders/waterer

My Phoenix hen SEARCHES for mice. I would put her in, but she's not motherly. Plus, where she goes, the Polish girl has to go. They can't live without each other.

Another SAFE mousetrap if you don't have small children or other small pets is a 5 gal bucket of water partially fulll with a ramp as the only water source for the mice.

Quote:
I *think* I solved the problem. It involves smashing the cord with cinder block (worry about that) , light closer to shavings (worry about that) changing to lower wattage. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom