Silkie thread!

One of my hens has an ear infection. I wouldn't have noticed it because she is acting fine, but I was just checking everyone over and noticed her ear was swollen, she had white crusty stuff around her eyes and ears and it had a little brown plug in it. I wet the area down with vetrycin eye wash and removed the plug. Poor girl had a bunch of stuff in there. I searched on here for how to treat, and it said neosporin without pain killer in the hole, and antibiotics. I started her on tylan and she seems to feel fine. No nasal or eye discharge. The thing is, whatever she has, the whole flock has already been exposed. Im hoping its just irritation or something causing it. No one else has issues except the hen i posted about yesterday who I have on antibiotics and poly vi sol for dizzinessand possible respiratory issues. I feel like it is pointless to separate them from the flock now. What do you all think? I have been putting vitamins in the flocks water, because I just wormed them all with valbazen 4 gdays ago. Still seeing foamy poops though. I want to start them on corid again for the follow up dosing, but I was waiting forthe valbazen to get finished doing its job. I cant believe the issues this year. They have a really clean coop, and no visitors are allowed near it. Grrrr
hmm.png
And the shoes we wear out thereare only for the coops.
I am so sorry to hear about this! You seem to have had more than your fair share this year and I know you take such good care of your flock.
sad.png

I was very disappointed in my silkies from ideal. They were puny and not attractive at all. I've always had good luck with other breeds from them. Anyone have any suggestions as to which hatchery has good silkies?
You may want to consider eBay or finding a breeder in Texas. Not sure about the Texas thread, but in the Indiana thread the members put together a file on Google docs so you can sort by breed and location in the state to find a breeder.

I am new to silkies and just picked up this lavender hen from a lady on Craigslist. I didn't realize lavenders were rare at all. Unfortunately she doesn't seem to have feathered feet. She's about 3 months old. The lady owned the mother and father both were also lavender she said.

love.gif
love this gal! Noticed you were in Northern Indiana, have you been on the INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! thread? Lots of nice people who are happy to help with questions, many of whom have silkies.

Got some silkie eggs from bradselig and had them hatch in time for our family reunion! I named them all after people from Beatles songs. My cousin also gave me a guinea and a MF in case anyone is wondering why Vera and Rita don't look like silkies. LOL Love these little fluff balls.

:love  love this gal! Noticed you were in Northern Indiana, have you been on the [COLOR=333333]INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! [/COLOR]thread? Lots of nice people who are happy to help with questions, many of whom have silkies.

Oh thank you. I'm pretty smitten with her. She's a real love bug. Still quite young and doesn't have her feathers all fluffed yet. She's about 3 months old. Here's a few more pics

Back
Top Bottom