Silkie thread!

Well my little black pullet had a se back. She has developed wry neck. I started her on vitamin

I treated one of mine at 3 months of age that had severe wry neck. Could only walk backwards with his head completely upside down between his legs. I had to start out by holding his head and force feeding him boiled egg yoke mixed into the Kay Tee baby bird formula (comes dry in a can at the pet store) along with Polyvisol vitamins and vitamin B12 liquid (2 drops each daily) plus one capsule (on the food) of vit E squeezed on the food, and after around 3 days he was eating it himself (head still held) Once he got the taste of the egg he went nuts for it. I also had to dribble water on the tip of his beak to get him to drink. He refused to drink when his beak was dipped in water. I also had to keep him separated with a towel bunched around him so he wouldn't flop around. After a week he could stand and lift his head some. By two weeks he could eat and drink on his own but still couldn't walk forward. By week 3 he was walking forward and holding his head up. By week 4 he was back in with his two hatch mates and doing great. He is a gorgeous, healthy boy now and very tame and friendly from all the handling.

Hope your pullet pulls through!

My self blue splash boy (lavender x porcelain) that had Wry Neck.

Last edited:
I bought a 50lb bag of Purina Flock Feeder Crumbles and I think I might have a bad one.
The one on the right is what I've been used to and the one on the left is the new bag.
It's mostly dust, darker in color than what the picture shows and the birds don't seem really interested in it.
Anyone else ever had this happen and should I get a refund?

I bought a 50lb bag of Purina Flock Feeder Crumbles and I think I might have a bad one. The one on the right is what I've been used to and the one on the left is the new bag. It's mostly dust, darker in color than what the picture shows and the birds don't seem really interested in it. Anyone else ever had this happen and should I get a refund?
That will be the bottom of the barrel , so to speak. Yes , I would ask them to exchange it. Dusty feed is no good for chickens respiratory system. :)

I think they have expiration dates on the bags. At least I found a date on a bag once.

It's very important to check the use by date on all feed. Most added vitamin and minerals are depleted in 2 months. That is if the feed is stored correctly. Moisture or humidity will excelerate the loss.
Anyone experiencing wryneck in their flock should look closely at the feed. I add poultry vitamins to the water on a regular basis, just to be safe.

I treated one of mine at 3 months of age that had severe wry neck. Could only walk backwards with his head completely upside down between his legs. I had to start out by holding his head and force feeding him boiled egg yoke mixed into the Kay Tee baby bird formula (comes dry in a can at the pet store) along with Polyvisol vitamins and vitamin B12 liquid (2 drops each daily) plus one capsule (on the food) of vit E squeezed on the food, and after around 3 days he was eating it himself (head still held) Once he got the taste of the egg he went nuts for it. I also had to dribble water on the tip of his beak to get him to drink. He refused to drink when his beak was dipped in water. I also had to keep him separated with a towel bunched around him so he wouldn't flop around. After a week he could stand and lift his head some. By two weeks he could eat and drink on his own but still couldn't walk forward. By week 3 he was walking forward and holding his head up. By week 4 he was back in with his two hatch mates and doing great. He is a gorgeous, healthy boy now and very tame and friendly from all the handling. Hope your pullet pulls through! My self blue splash boy (lavender x porcelain) that had Wry Neck.
Thankyou for sharing. It nice for people to know that there are success stories out there. Sometimes it is just what is needed to give that little bit of inspiration . :)

This is Fleecy. He's 7 weeks old & my only Silkie. He's kept separate from my flock because the leghorns were a bit rough with him. Since he doesn't have any flockmates, his pin feathers are a bit out of control. Is there anything I can do to help him? He won't sit still to let me help preen them on his head. Poor guy looks like he has a Mohawk!

Leghorns of any variety can be rough on flockmates. I had to re-home my Marans and Leghorns because they were too assertive to downright mean to my gentle breeds. The Marans roosted next to a Silkie and plucked her bald - why can't those bullies leave the Silkie crests/beards alone! After re-homing the aggressors I have less and smaller eggs now but don't have mean drama in my flock any more. I adore Leghorns but they are best kept with other assertive Mediterranean breeds like Ancona, Andalusian, Minorca, Penedesenca/Empordanesa, WF Black Spanish, the Sicilian breeds, etc. etc. One owner I spoke with thinks Leghorns are downright crazy and cannibalistic even with each other but I liked my two Leghorns and one Marans - just not with my gentles. I felt sorry for our one little Partridge Silkie and got her a companion Silkie added to the flock. The two Silkies are not the best buddies when they're cranky from molting or brooding but they'll always toodle and pal around the yard together. My other gentle breeds are slightly larger - a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and adding a Blue Breda pullet next week. I got tired of dual-purpose egg-layer breed dramas and settled for the lighterweight gentlest-known breeds for my backyard. I went with an actual Ameraucana vs an EE because so many reviews said the Amers had consistent temperaments where the EEs were all over the page regarding temperaments. Never tried an EE but I can attest to the very gentle nature of our BW Amer mixed with our Silkies during the past two years.

do
Wanted to share some of my babies. Everyone else's are just to cute for words.

Adorable.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom