Silkie thread!

If you want to go that route then the only surefire treatment that won't harm the eggs would be DE... since it truly is just a topical but isn't as effective as most chemicals. I am not comparing chickens to dogs by any means. I know how the product is supposed to function on the targeted animal and while a chicken and a dog have nothing in common outside of food goes in one end and poop out the other the chemical doesn't change. It is a topical treatment and is designed to target only the pests- hence why you use it instead of good old fashioned flea collars and flea powder which are as likely to kill your animal as it is the pests on them.

Vets will not recommend you use any product outside of the animal it is targeted for. It just isn't lab tested and the manufacturer will not take liability if your animal is injured using their product. Instead I spoke with people who show and breed professionally because we never had parasites before. We have been pretty lucky to have generally healthy birds.

Since I paid a fortune for these nuggets of a bird I was very vigilant in watching not only for keeling over but discomfort, reddening, and other signs it was an irritant and was prepared to bathe it off in that case. I don't just arbitrarily treat my animals without asking people more experienced than I.

Now mind you I didn't saturate my birds in it because that would just be overkill. It was a light spritz over each bird to make certain they were treated and on the mite ridden bird the spritz was directed where the mites were located (his very fluffy butt). Their bedding was changed as a good caution; the floor of the coop was spritzed before I put new bedding down just to be safe. I am overly cautious when I spent $70 on one bird - more so since the bugger doesn't lay gold eggs and if mites appear again I will use the same treatment since it worked well but again the key for me and what the others who recommended the Frontline spray was use the spray and use it lightly.

If you are really worried about the eggs then avoid it for a day or so. Like I said I had no issues but I am not lab testing my eggs outside of yes they look and smell like eggs and taste like them too. If there is any skin absorption is should be pretty minuscule since the stuff is suspended in alcohol and spraying lightly over the bird keeps it mainly on the feathers.

If you want to go that route then the only surefire treatment that won't harm the eggs would be DE... since it truly is just a topical but isn't as effective as most chemicals. I am not comparing chickens to dogs by any means. I know how the product is supposed to function on the targeted animal and while a chicken and a dog have nothing in common outside of food goes in one end and poop out the other the chemical doesn't change. It is a topical treatment and is designed to target only the pests- hence why you use it instead of good old fashioned flea collars and flea powder which are as likely to kill your animal as it is the pests on them. 

Vets will not recommend you use any product outside of the animal it is targeted for. It just isn't lab tested and the manufacturer will not take liability if your animal is injured using their product. Instead I spoke with people who show and breed professionally because we never had parasites before. We have been pretty lucky to have generally healthy birds. 

Since I paid a fortune for these nuggets of a bird I was very vigilant in watching not only for keeling over but discomfort, reddening, and other signs it was an irritant and was prepared to bathe it off in that case. I don't just arbitrarily treat my animals without asking people more experienced than I. 

Now mind you I didn't saturate my birds in it because that would just be overkill. It was a light spritz over each bird to make certain they were treated and on the mite ridden bird the spritz was directed where the mites were located (his very fluffy butt). Their bedding was changed as a good caution; the floor of the coop was spritzed before I put new bedding down just to be safe. I am overly cautious when I spent $70 on one bird - more so since the bugger doesn't lay gold eggs and if mites appear again I will use the same treatment since it worked well but again the key for me and what the others who recommended the Frontline spray was use the spray and use it lightly. 

If you are really worried about the eggs then avoid it for a day or so. Like I said I had no issues but I am not lab testing my eggs outside of yes they look and smell like eggs and taste like them too. If there is any skin absorption is should be pretty minuscule since the stuff is suspended in alcohol and spraying lightly over the bird keeps it mainly on the feathers. 

On the contrary, there are several products tested and approved for use on poultry. Pemrethrin, pyrethrum and spinosad are a just a few. My point is that your dog is not ' food producing ' !
I no longer show my birds but I have been breeding SQ birds for 12 years and as I said , it's a personal choice as to what you use on your birds.

I never said there weren't any products specifically designed for birds. I just noted that I was directed towards Frontline with others who used it to no detriment and instead used Advantage since the products are very similar plus I had it on hand while my local Petsmart was out of the Frontline.

Knowing the product made me comfortable and not worried about over dosing as long as I was reasonable about the application.

No my dog is not food producing you have that correct- but food producing doesn't change how the product works. It is designed to stay on top of the skin and not be absorbed (hence why the concentrated drops last 30 days; it spreads and sits on top of their skin killing bugs on contact and as the animal sheds its epithelial layer the product wears off because it is no longer on the animal but in your lawn and carpet. In the case of cats it only lasts about 26 days because they are chronic groomers...)

My logic was if I hadn't died from eating mass production eggs (which I am certain get worse contaminants- like their feed is made from other chickens- talk about solylent green) and I have petted my dogs and committed the sin of going back to eating without washing my hands and suffered no ill then I wasn't worried about the eggs.

If I was going to eat the bird itself. I probably wouldn't have used the product. Then again I wouldn't have worried about treating it for mites since dipping it in boiling water then plucking the feathers usually solves that problem.

For me using it was all about risk reduction.

Plus the fact the mites were gone pretty darn quickly was a nice payoff. Sure my chickens smelled like they were down at the local watering hole for a few hours but eventually that dissipated.

The other just for chicken products like I said just made me nervous with the many warnings I received about how easy it could be to overdose them.

On the contrary, there are several products tested and approved for use on poultry. Pemrethrin, pyrethrum and spinosad are a just a few. My point is that your dog is not ' food producing ' !
I no longer show my birds but I have been breeding SQ birds for 12 years and as I said , it's a personal choice as to what you use on your birds.
In my case, I have tried almost all poultry approved produce for pests, and they've been immune to all of it, however, frontline did work. Sevin dust did too!

Oh in that case I would put a poultry multi vitamin in the water. Alternately you could mix it into water and pour it on a mash. The two things might not be related but stress could have triggered these symptoms. If she is off her feed , that too might have left her thiamine deficient.

Ok ill do that for her today, hopefully I can get her to eat and drink. Thank you for your help
smile.png

In my case, I have tried almost all poultry approved produce for pests, and they've been immune to all of it, however, frontline did work. Sevin dust did too!

It depends what parasite you are treating. The northern red fowl mite is the most difficult to rid your flock of. Just treating the birds is not enough , premise spraying is also necessary.

Not to add fuel to the fire here, but this stuff goes on the back of our pets' necks. A lot of folks sleep with their pets. I dunno about you guys, but I (and my kids) rub all over our dog and cat. Puppy kisses are one of my favorite things. In my case, I imagine absorption is unavoidable. One would think if it were truly harmful that it would not be marketed for topical use on pets. Yeah, I know, DDT, asbestos...

Back
Top Bottom