Silkie thread!

I heard WD40 works well

WD40 sounds dangerous. Instead of greasy vaseline or oily vegetable Crisco my vet recommended Vitamin A or E oils on combs for frostbite and on legs for mite prevention -- with the added health benefit of making the skin, legs, toes, comb supple and soft instead of hard and flaky. We massage the oil into the leg feathers also - vet says its good for the feathers too and won't hurt to massage it into the leg feathers. We do it at roost time and the vitamin oils absorb into the skin overnight and there's no greasy mess like vaseline or vegetable oil on the feathers to make dust-bath dirt stick to the feathers! I love the vitamin treatments on our birds once a month - my hands are so soft after giving them massages - we only have 4 birds.

You betcha! Post pictures just to be sure.

Here's a couple pictures, but haven't heard anything since the one time and I'm starting to wonder if it was one of my other breeds.

My silkie got a leaf stuck to her face this morning. It was so cute!
We have one tomboy Silkie, the littlest one, that is always getting debris in her crest - long strands of weeds, spider webs, straw, food, anything you can imagine. She'll get rid of one piece and the next time you see her something different is stuck to her. We started teasing her "Hedda Hopper" for all the hats she changes out during the day!

@SJchickens, my reply message got mixed in with yours, but any guesses on sex based on these pictures? I'm not sure if she was the one who tried to crow or one of my other larger breeds that I'm starting to look at.

Im so sorry to hear that! My dogs got out ofthe paddock two days ago. they killed 24 of my neighbors chickens. We feel just terrible. I dingt think they had it in them, but the primal instinct kicked in. :(:(

I think I'm going to end up with a bachelor pad. I hatched 10 silkies and at least 1/2 look like cockerels at 11 weeks old. What are the chances of having 5 of each sex all getting along? They were all hatched together.

Twelve weeks

Give it about another 2-3 weeks. My silkies are 15 weeks old and one of them just started getting his spurs. I was so disappointed. I noticed them about 4 days ago and came to terms with it. He hadn't started crowing yet though. All hopes of keeping a quiet rooster were dashed 2 days ago when he started crowing. I am keeping him until everyone starts laying eggs because it's a well known fact that silkies are hard to sex so if the neighbors complain, I just can't tell yet. That'll give me time to find him a good home.

Back
Top Bottom