Silkie thread!

Have you seen any other symptoms ? Labored breathing, mucous coming from the mouth or nose, is there any odour around the head area ?
You need to irrigate the eye ( from the beak out , so that any debris flushes away from the bird ) . Saline in a small 3-5 ml syringe ( no needle ) makes it easy to flush.
Apply some antibiotic drops at least once a day . Chlorsig human drops will do if not some terramycin spray or ointment is just as effective. A course of tylan for at least 7 days would also be my advice.
The eye needs daily treatment.

As I see posts for ailing birds I am thinking I should have a medicine kit for my chickens for if they ever need it and some kind of guide or online resource that explains basic health issues. Does anyone recommend particular items and/or resources I should have at the ready? I only have four chickens, but I certainly want to keep them healthy.

My number one in my kit is Nutridrench (as it is always out of stock when I need it)

Electrolyte/vitamin powder or recipe for homemade electrolytes.

a couple of slip syringes and some of those ketsup/mustard picnic bottles (the red and yellow ones they sell empty) I use theses for washing wounds or eyes and have even had to force feed a chicken once

Blue cote to cover red areas on my chickens to prevent picking by others.

gauze and the horse wrap for the legs it is like an ace bandage but is self adhesive and peels right off with not sticky stuff left behind.

Poultry dust with Permethrin for lice and mites

325 mg asprin Vitamin gel caps of fishoil and vit E

I do have some antibiotics now but it is the first time in 5 years and a last resort.

disposable Rubber gloves

Iodine (I always mix this with saline never put it on straight)

These are the ones I can think of right now.

My First aide kit has grown over 5 years from dealing with different things. I started with electrolyte/Vitamin powder.

As I see posts for ailing birds I am thinking I should have a medicine kit for my chickens for if they ever need it and some kind of guide or online resource that explains basic health issues. Does anyone recommend particular items and/or resources I should have at the ready? I only have four chickens, but I certainly want to keep them healthy.

Everyone needs a basic first aid box. Ours is quite extensive as we have livestock and horses as well. My basic chicken requirements are
Antibiotic spray terramycin , or an equivalent wound care spray
Syringes for feeding , meds and irrigating wounds
Vet wrap bandages
Poly aid plus food supplement for sick birds
Scissors
Syringes
Iodine
Vicks chest rub ( generic will do ) for scaley leg mite
Wormer
Oral or injectable antibiotics.
Multi vitamin with probiotics.
Epsom salts
There are many useful links and I have hundreds bookmarked. Here are a few of the most common problems encountered by poultry owners.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

The Merks manual is very useful.

Most of these products are available at your local feed store , otherwise online.

http://www.jefferspet.com/categories/poultry/health-wellness/vitamins-supplements-7

Last edited:

For ailing bird references and what medicines are good to use to treat certain ailments I have always used Fancychooklady's reference links and stored them in my computer folder on chickens. I have highlighted and saved entire conversations between her and others on this Silkie thread where they discussed ailments and first-aid kits. I know there are a LOT of posts on this Silkie thread but there's been a LOT of good information as well. Up to you if you'd like to peruse the 5,000+ pages but I found it helpful - just can't read all 5,000+ pages in one sitting
big_smile.png

For ailing bird references and what medicines are good to use to treat certain ailments I have always used Fancychooklady's reference links and stored them in my computer folder on chickens.  I have highlighted and saved entire conversations between her and others on this Silkie thread where they discussed ailments and first-aid kits.  I know there are a LOT of posts on this Silkie thread but there's been a LOT of good information as well.  Up to you if you'd like to peruse the 5,000+ pages but I found it helpful - just can't read all 5,000+ pages in one sitting :D .

I hate to see an animal suffer and being surrounded by animals for most of my life I have had to deal with many , but not all of these issues. Where ever possible we will call in a vet but that isn't always an option so I pay attention and learn as much from the vet when he is here. Horses are just accidents waiting to happen sometimes and between hubby and I we have stitched up and vaccinated a few. Sometimes a little advice is all that is needed to see your feathered friends back on track, and if death is inevitable we try to deal with it in a dignified and calm way. :)

Took Snowball to vet today, and had him put to sleep. Vet said would have to put him on antibiotics and steroids for 2 weeks then bring him back to have his eyeball removed and no guarantees cuz infection could travel all through his brain and he would die anyway.

Aww so sorry for your loss :hugs

Back
Top Bottom