Silkie thread!

So my four bantam splash silkys are four weeks old. One of them (Moon) is really big next to the other three, one (Eragon) is kinda like a runt and the other two (Tulia and Ivory) are twins and in the middle. Any tips on how to tell the gender? Since they're silkys it's already a little hard to get the gender and these are my first so I don't have any clue. (;´・ω・)

So my four bantam splash silkys are four weeks old. One of them (Moon) is really big next to the other three, one (Eragon) is kinda like a runt and the other two (Tulia and Ivory) are twins and in the middle. Any tips on how to tell the gender? Since they're silkys it's already a little hard to get the gender and these are my first so I don't have any clue. (;´・ω・)
lau.gif
Sorry I couldn't help myself.

I just plan on having a bachelor pad.

At 4 weeks of age your guess would be as good as anyone's. I find that I'm nearly always 50% correct in guessing the sex of my silkies. :D
Seriously though, it's a matter of waiting to see who lays and who crows. There is of course the option of DNA testing.

Quote: I was looking at streamers, but it seems like streamers, posture, poof, and comb all don't point to the same sex on one silkie. Know what I mean? There seem to be 3 that are definite girls, 2 roos, and 5 ????? with mixed signals. Maybe it doesn't really matter since they are all staying.

Last edited:
I was looking at streamers, but it seems like streamers, posture, poof, and comb all don't point to the same sex on one silkie.  Know what I mean?  There seem to be 3 that are definite girls,  2 roos, and 5 ?????  with mixed signals.  Maybe it doesn't really matter since they are all staying.

lol, I totally understand! Have one now that I can't figure out yet... each day I change my mind on which gender it is... :/
Seems that they go through a stretch of time with 'pseudo' streamers too... I compare their voices as well, seems the girls sound a bit tenor-like and roos more bass, kinda rumble more... hard to describe... :/

I was looking at streamers, but it seems like streamers, posture, poof, and comb all don't point to the same sex on one silkie.  Know what I mean?  There seem to be 3 that are definite girls,  2 roos, and 5 ?????  with mixed signals.  Maybe it doesn't really matter since they are all staying.

Hehe, that's the best way to be. For some the whole roo thing is a deal breaker because they aren't able to keep them. My batchelor pad is quite spacious and whilst pullets are always easy to sell many of the boys will eventually find homes.
Your little white one looks like a hen do you have a side profile of the buff ?

Back
Top Bottom