Silkie thread!

Might seem like a silly question , but why do you want to put a pine cone in the brooder ?

They dont have much to look at in their brooder and I wanted to give them something to play with since they are always moving around but they have nothing to do. These are my first chickens though so ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Wow, when I researched the Amprolium dosages I always read (using 9.6% liquid) to use 9.5 CCs per gallon for 5-7 days, with only some people recommending following it up for another three days two weeks later. I hadn't read about the 3 week treatment. If that is how it's meant to be done I suspect that is why it came back, as they were only on it 7 days. I still have them on the Corid until I get the sulfadimethoxine in my actual hands because I believe they have a particularly bad case of cocci and am afraid to stop treatment even for a few days.

Tabitha's legs aren't in working order yet, but her head/neck coordination seems even better this morning, and she ate and drank even more than she did at any point yesterday, so I still have hope. She was chattering happily the whole time she was eating. She was not particularly friendly as a small chick but since she's had the wry neck and has needed handled so often she's become very sweet.

I will start checking the use by dates on feed. I only buy one bag at a time so I usually only have it for a few weeks. I keep it it metal bins which seems to help keep out most of the humidity, at least so far.

Good luck with your little breda! She sounds very sweet.

Thank you again for all the help everyone has given.

The dosage and duration of treatment varies considerably for ' preventative ' and ' outbreak ' . This thread of @casportpony explains the dosage on the label. Kathy is a wiz with maths and conversion tables.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/955664/corid-and-amprol-powder-dosing-with-pictures-preliminary

They dont have much to look at in their brooder and I wanted to give them something to play with since they are always moving around but they have nothing to do. These are my first chickens though so ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Do they have any time outside as yet ? I usually let them out in a day pen for a couple hours a day to acclimatize them to the outside temps and soil , grit , dirt. Something they scratch round and eat would be more to their liking. I usually give them a slice of water melon, cantelope or soft baked pumpkin ( skin on ) . Keep in mind that once you start introducing them to food other than crumble , they will need access to grit to help with digestion. :)

Maybe this picture will help?

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

You're welcome! Don't you folks in AU treat at 24%, then 12% and finish with 6%? I think I like the idea of that.

-Kathy

Haha, my maths is not as good as yours. The directions on my pack are , 30grams / 25 litres of water for 5-7 days ,then 15 g/25l for a further 5-7 days and then 8g/25 litrs of water for the final week. I don't need to make up 25 litres so I halve the amounts for each administration. :)

Quote: What you all don't get to see is how hard I struggle with the math, lol. Luckily DH is a math wizard, so I have him check all of my work before I post it.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Quote: What you all don't get to see is how hard I struggle with the math, lol. Luckily DH is a math wizard, so I have him check all of my work before I post it.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I see it!!! Kathy, you just try to hard to give perfect valid information, and the anxiety interferes with your math. I suffer from that too.
barnie.gif

Kathy, I love love LOVE your avatar!!!!!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Male or female? I've had these 2 for 8 weeks. I was told they were around 12 weeks old when I got them. No crowing nor eggs yet....
sad.png

I'm thinking both female now.

Back
Top Bottom