Silkie thread!

I think my two silkie hens might be broody AGAIN. They both went broody this spring and each hatched just one chick, but now they've been laying on the nest for the past few days all day (but still laying eggs...). So is it normal to go broody this frequently or are they just lazy or doing it to get away from the other chickens??

Last edited:
Please help. I got this silkie yesterday as a 7 month old pullet but some of the people that have seen her think she looks like a roo. She has neither crowed nor laid an egg.

Also, is splash blue or black? If I (for example) bred her to a lavender like my Ameraucana pictured below her what would I expect? All black?

It is a splash and you would get all blues but its not a good idea to get the blue genes and the lavender genes all mixed up together because you might get some displaying both genes and not know what you actually have. Also it takes to genes to show the lavender. One gene of lavender is black. 1 blue gene is blue and two blue genes is splash so all resulting chicks would have one gene for lavender (not showing it) and one gene for blue making them all blue split for lavender if you search the forums you can learn more why its bad to cross the blue genes withe the lavender

It is a splash and you would get all blues but its not a good idea to get the blue genes and the lavender genes all mixed up together because you might get some displaying both genes and not know what you actually have. Also it takes to genes to show the lavender. One gene of lavender is black. 1 blue gene is blue and two blue genes is splash so all resulting chicks would have one gene for lavender (not showing it) and one gene for blue making them all blue split for lavender if you search the forums you can learn more why its bad to cross the blue genes withe the lavender

Thank you cgmaster,

I read a few posts but wasn't sure if it would matter if I bred a silkie to an Ameraucana being that it would be a mutt anyway but I will definitely reconsider.. I saw a few silkie/Ameraucana on other threads. And was curious about how it would have turned out. My main concern is of it ends up being a roo.

Please help. I got this silkie yesterday as a 7 month old pullet but some of the people that have seen her think she looks like a roo. She has neither crowed nor laid an egg.

Also, is splash blue or black? If I (for example) bred her to a lavender like my Ameraucana pictured below her what would I expect? All black?

I love silkie/EE mixes. I imagine it would look very Similar to a silkie/Ameraucana mix

Yeah, look up "Australian araucana". That's pretty much what it would look like (plus feathered legs, black skin and walnut-ish comb). My silkie/EEs are pretty cool looking, I think

Yeah, look up "Australian araucana". That's pretty much what it would look like (plus feathered legs, black skin and walnut-ish comb). My silkie/EEs are pretty cool looking, I think

Any guesses to if its a pullet or cockerel?.. The lady said her line lays at 8-9 months usually and I would think it would be crowing or have more of a comb if it was a boy being her other roos had robust walnuts.. But its my first silkie and my whole logic was to have broodies.

If this link will post.. There's one half way down.. Just wasn't sure what color I'd get because splash is a weird blue and lavender is self blue but not the same blue... And thinking about it depresses me because I don't understand.. And that makes me a completely different kind of blue!!
http://fiberarts.typepad.com/fiber_arts_furry_critters/2006/11/

Last edited:
Any guesses to if its a pullet or cockerel?.. The lady said her line lays at 8-9 months usually and I would think it would be crowing or have more of a comb if it was a boy being her other roos had robust walnuts.. But its my first silkie and my whole logic was to have broodies.

8 or 9 months?! That is pretty late, but I guess it would make sense

8 or 9 months?! That is pretty late, but I guess it would make sense

I read silkies could be late starting so that didn't bother me.. To me the feathering is the same structure wise as the older black one.. The only difference being she seems really thin under all those feathers. I was suspecting that could also be effecting her starting to lay.

Back
Top Bottom