Silkie thread!

x2
hmm.png
they're still adorable.

Any one have any idea what the coloring on this chick might look like it is a Blue Silkie / Self Blue or White Cochin mix I think.

do you think the striping will continue on the whole chick?

Any one have any idea what the coloring on this chick might look like it is a Blue Silkie / Self Blue or White Cochin mix I think.

do you think the striping will continue on the whole chick?
with mixes like that youll probably have to wait a while to tell, it may just be the self blue leaking through

Last edited:
Just had one of my silkies hatch 3 weeks ago, one 2 weeks ago & this week the third went broody. Trying to discourage the 3rd one, but its not going real well lol

I have two Silkies and seems like when one goes broody the other one will also. I let them sit/brood an empty nest to give their bodies a rest after laying so many eggs in a row. Don't know why even older Silkies can still lay 4 to 5 big eggs per week (1.25 up to 1.5-oz). We are minimally zoned so can't raise more chickens -- so I let Silkies brood an empty nest, make sure we take them out a couple times a day to eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise before they go running back to their empty nest. After 2 or 3 weeks they get bored of brooding an empty nest and come out rested and refreshed to join the rest of the flock normally. I thought you HAD to break a broody but decided the methods were just too mean. Any breed in our yard that wants to go broody is free to do so -- we just make sure they eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise a couple times each day. Sometimes we noticed some of the hens look like they went broody but were really just being reclusive in a nest while they were molting.

I have two Silkies and seems like when one goes broody the other one will also. I let them sit/brood an empty nest to give their bodies a rest after laying so many eggs in a row. Don't know why even older Silkies can still lay 4 to 5 big eggs per week (1.25 up to 1.5-oz). We are minimally zoned so can't raise more chickens -- so I let Silkies brood an empty nest, make sure we take them out a couple times a day to eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise before they go running back to their empty nest. After 2 or 3 weeks they get bored of brooding an empty nest and come out rested and refreshed to join the rest of the flock normally. I thought you HAD to break a broody but decided the methods were just too mean. Any breed in our yard that wants to go broody is free to do so -- we just make sure they eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise a couple times each day. Sometimes we noticed some of the hens look like they went broody but were really just being reclusive in a nest while they were molting.

I've had one laying for about 3 months now and has gone broody twice. The first time it went on for 2 weeks and this last time I keep taking her off several times a day and put her outside with the others to move around. It only took 3 days of doing this and she finally gave up and stopped being broody. Its just the same one none of the others have done it. Thank goodness!!

that is good to know about not breaking them being broody. mine goes broody all the time and have broken it once and the other times i just give her a chick eventually. i would like to get a couple more silkies...and mine right now sits on an empty nest too. can not deal with chicks right now...i take her off several times a day like you said and i think i will go with that. thanks for sharing that...i think it is a good thing!

Just had one of my silkies hatch 3 weeks ago, one 2 weeks ago

I have two Silkies and seems like when one goes broody the other one will also.  I let them sit/brood an empty nest to give their bodies a rest after laying so many eggs in a row.  Don't know why even older Silkies can still lay 4 to 5 big eggs per week (1.25 up to 1.5-oz).  We are minimally zoned so can't raise more chickens -- so I let Silkies brood an empty nest, make sure we take them out a couple times a day to eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise before they go running back to their empty nest.  After 2 or 3 weeks they get bored of brooding an empty nest and come out rested and refreshed to join the rest of the flock normally.  I thought you HAD to break a broody but decided the methods were just too mean.  Any breed in our yard that wants to go broody is free to do so -- we just make sure they eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise a couple times each day.  Sometimes we noticed some of the hens look like they went broody but were really just being reclusive in a nest while they were molting.
Thanks for that bit of knowledge. Glad there was no ill effects.

I have two Silkies and seems like when one goes broody the other one will also.  I let them sit/brood an empty nest to give their bodies a rest after laying so many eggs in a row.  Don't know why even older Silkies can still lay 4 to 5 big eggs per week (1.25 up to 1.5-oz).  We are minimally zoned so can't raise more chickens -- so I let Silkies brood an empty nest, make sure we take them out a couple times a day to eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise before they go running back to their empty nest.  After 2 or 3 weeks they get bored of brooding an empty nest and come out rested and refreshed to join the rest of the flock normally.  I thought you HAD to break a broody but decided the methods were just too mean.  Any breed in our yard that wants to go broody is free to do so -- we just make sure they eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise a couple times each day.  Sometimes we noticed some of the hens look like they went broody but were really just being reclusive in a nest while they were molting.

Yes I've never quite understand the need to ' break ' them. Unless you were looking at things from a ' commercial ' point of view, I can't see any sense in messing with nature. I've never lost a bird to excessive brooding and I always pop a bit of soft food under their beaks at feed til me.
Round here if your broody, you get put to work hatching eggs of my choice . ;)
Our little man arrived at 1-30 am this morning. :)

I've had one laying for about 3 months now and has gone broody twice. The first time it went on for 2 weeks and this last time I keep taking her off several times a day and put her outside with the others to move around. It only took 3 days of doing this and she finally gave up and stopped being broody. Its just the same one none of the others have done it. Thank goodness!!

These cuties seem to have their own particular schedules and after 5 yrs I just don't try to figure it out any more LOL! Glad you had an easy time of it with your girl!

Back
Top Bottom