Silkie thread!

I have two Silkies and seems like when one goes broody the other one will also.  I let them sit/brood an empty nest to give their bodies a rest after laying so many eggs in a row.  Don't know why even older Silkies can still lay 4 to 5 big eggs per week (1.25 up to 1.5-oz).  We are minimally zoned so can't raise more chickens -- so I let Silkies brood an empty nest, make sure we take them out a couple times a day to eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise before they go running back to their empty nest.  After 2 or 3 weeks they get bored of brooding an empty nest and come out rested and refreshed to join the rest of the flock normally.  I thought you HAD to break a broody but decided the methods were just too mean.  Any breed in our yard that wants to go broody is free to do so -- we just make sure they eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise a couple times each day.  Sometimes we noticed some of the hens look like they went broody but were really just being reclusive in a nest while they were molting.

Yes I've never quite understand the need to ' break ' them. Unless you were looking at things from a ' commercial ' point of view, I can't see any sense in messing with nature. I've never lost a bird to excessive brooding and I always pop a bit of soft food under their beaks at feed til me.
Round here if your broody, you get put to work hatching eggs of my choice . ;)
Our little man arrived at 1-30 am this morning. :)

Beautiful boy!

Has anyone else who owns Cuckoo Silkies or Sizzles noticed the cockerels and cocks tend to be... well... a bit bratty? I have 1 cock I'd estimate to be maybe 1.5 years of age and 2 cockerels that are about 8 or 9 weeks now. The cock is a bit of a biter and when I went to grab him for the first time when I was purchasing him, he went full shin flogger on my hands (what he could see of them anyways, he's got quite the crest). And the two cockerels seem very fast maturing - they are already crowing, fighting with each other, and I even had to remove the black pullet from their cage because they kept trying to mount her, which she was NOT pleased with, being the same age as them and still very much a baby.

As a side note, I like to take pictures of Taylor after each feeding, so here she is tonight.

HELP
I was handling my 1 year old silkie rooster the other day and while petting him I felt a large lump/bump on his back, I pulled his feathers back and found a large black mass protuding thru his skin. It's about ping pong ball size.
He is acting normal, crowing, eating and gaurding his ladies like nothing is wrong. I only found it because I was petting him.
I have cut the feathers away from the area and put peroxide on it and the top layer/ scan has fallen off and it did bleed a little and it now looks to have a yellow sea sponge type texure mass (as seen in picture).

I have researched and researched with no luck. Does anyone know what this is?

HELP
I was handling my 1 year old silkie rooster the other day and while petting him I felt a large lump/bump on his back, I pulled his feathers back and found a large black mass protuding thru his skin. It's about ping pong ball size.
He is acting normal, crowing, eating and gaurding his ladies like nothing is wrong. I only found it because I was petting him.
I have cut the feathers away from the area and put peroxide on it and the top layer/ scan has fallen off and it did bleed a little and it now looks to have a yellow sea sponge type texure mass (as seen in picture).

I have researched and researched with no luck. Does anyone know what this is?
You might want to post this in the Emergencies/Diseases section. More people with experience at treating things like this might see it there.

HELP I was handling my 1 year old silkie rooster the other day and while petting him I felt a large lump/bump on his back, I pulled his feathers back and found a large black mass protuding thru his skin. It's about ping pong ball size. He is acting normal, crowing, eating and gaurding his ladies like nothing is wrong. I only found it because I was petting him. I have cut the feathers away from the area and put peroxide on it and the top layer/ scan has fallen off and it did bleed a little and it now looks to have a yellow sea sponge type texure mass (as seen in picture). I have researched and researched with no luck. Does anyone know what this is?
You might want to post this in the Emergencies/Diseases section. More people with experience at treating things like this might see it there.
Thank you I did that also, same time I posted here, the more who see it the better! Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom