Silkie thread!

It's there anyone out there still adopting out silkies? Every place is out for several months online :-( NEPA region..

If you don't mind them coming from a hatchery you could check Cackle Hatchery
I haven't heard the best reviews from Cackle, and someone I know orders from hem and every time a chick or two (or three) dies. Also, I'd avoid eFowl.com. They don't seem very authentic

Hey, all -- I purchased a few silkies from a breeder last month -- a frizzle and two smooth. One of the smooth ones has me confused!

They are about 6-7 weeks old. Any idea why this silkie's feathers look like normal chicken feathers instead of fluffy like "regular" silkies? It is the only of my trio to have the correct number of toes so I was planning on my son showing it BUT as it has feathered out, I have started to question its "showability".

Any thoughts?

Did the breed you got them from have Sizzles too? They look so much like Silkies as babies, she they may not have noticed. If the smooth is a Sizzle, it should carry the gene for Silkie feather. Breed it to your Silkies and you'll get Smooth and frizzled Sizzles and smooth and frizzled Silkies (if your Silkies are frizzled).

I haven't heard the best reviews from Cackle, and someone I know orders from hem and every time a chick or two (or three) dies. Also, I'd avoid eFowl.com. They don't seem very authentic
Ideal poultry has a wide selection of silkies but have never ordered from them yet, I have ordered from cackle three times and twice they all died but 3 or 4 and one time they all came alive, I have 100 coming from them in may still also so we will see how that goes

Hi. This chick, Kumquat, is one-eigth silkie from the mother's side and either another eighth or a quarter on the father's side.

He's eight days old and we all thought he had weird wings until I realized they kinda look like silkie wing feathers.

Is possible to tell yet?

Does he have five toes and are u asking what gender he is

If this is directed at me, no to both questions. I'm only interested in whether I can tell just from his wings whether he's going to grow silkie feathers, and I felt this thread was the most reliable place to get an answer. I don't have all that much experience with watching Silkies grow up.

Back
Top Bottom