Silkie thread!

About two years.  This is totally my fault for not being more careful in selection (of both breeder and birds).  If nothing else, my kids have some cute pets .... just sad they aren't showable too.

Lesson learned.

That's the spirit. The kids will love them either way. If you are looking for show quality birds you are best to stick to reputable breeders. Many of the DQ faults you are seeing can be the result off continuous ' line breeding ' . Most breeders are conscious of the need to replace roosters and bring in ' fresh blood ' .
Whilst it's common to breed father to daughter and sons back to mothers , it's not wise to breed sibling to sibling. Hope that makes sense. :)

Here's a picture of my silkie rooster at the Irish national show

Hello, I have 3,'3 month old silkies and 12 7 week old laying breeds. They have all been together since the layers were 2 weeks old and I've had no issues with them getting along. My problem is that at night, all the layers go inside the coop on their own, but the silkies prefer to sleep in a pile under the ramp. I have to go out there every night and put them in. They have no problem navigating the ramp during the day, I see them going in and out. How do I get them to go in? I bought an automatic door to install but it's not going to work if they don't go in!
I have had a cockerel do that to me forever and when it got too cold I just left him and his brothers inside the coop. When I brought them back out he finally stopped doing it. Moral of stor, I suggest you leave him in the coop for a few days...IMO.

Tomorrow is the big day!!!
I'm getting my first EVER silkies!! They'll be day old female chicks,getting 2, I am planning on naming them twix and jade, I would like to get a black and a buff, I'll send pics as soon as I get them! Super excited!!!
1f414.png

So.... Is this a silkie?
I was hoping it was going to be a Cochin.... But i got her in a mixed barn yard batch.... Well we have 3 that look just like this. Haha

Back
Top Bottom