Silkie thread!

My sweet Lucy. I also have two other Silkies.:cd

I had a big dog gulp down a baby chick and swallowed it hole before I even realized what was happening. If you don't hear them they're gone!

We kept the three best splash chicks from our Easter hatch so they were going to go outside soon. One of them we found dead lying on its side. It was not torn apart. Sadly this is not the first time these dogs have killed so they have to go in a room when we are not able to watch them. They were in the room but mu husband did not close the door before we left so they got the chicks out of the brooder and destroyed eggs waiting to go in the incubator. The dead one was in the hatchery near the brooder but the other two dissppeared. The dogs have never eaten their kills before because they are dogs and they kill for sport, not for food.

I am afraid the chicks are dead from shock or internal injuries but I have been hoping they would be okay and come out of hiding. Our guard dog has not acted like she knows where they are but if they are dead the smell will give them away. Until we find them I keep hoping they survived. We kept them because we wanted to keep them (if they are pullets). I really don't want to keep killer dogs but they are just acting like dogs do it is our responsibility to keep them away from the birds.

My husband says he is sorry but he has not looked for them because he does not have time. My daughter does not have time either. I have time but I am off my feet due to an injury and medication that makes me fall over. I may have to try crawling around on the floor to find them.

It has been well over 24 hours since our chicks were attacked by our own dogs in our house while we were gone and we have not been able to find them. I am holding out hope that they are hiding somewhere but at this point we may be searching for bodies. They must have found a tight space to hide in and then died of shock or injuries. We have checked under beds and the usual places but they may have gotten themselves behind the washer and dryer or some other space that will require moving furniture to find them. I am not able to walk right now while waiting for surgery so I had my daughter look after she got home from dress rehearsal. Tonight is opening night with a second show Friday night (first weekend performances) so she won't have time to search again until the weekend. I would love for them to start cheeping and come out of hiding but it has been far too quiet.

When it rains, it pours. Hope all will be well for you and DD. Dogs and poultry are not a good mix. That was a reason I told DH to choose for pets either a dog, a cat, or a small backyard chicken flock but not all 3 together. We've raised Persian Cats in the past, have had several large Rotties over the years, so now it was time to try Chickens. As for stray Cats in the yard, our chickens chase off the feral and neighborhood cats so they don't come back. Fine with me since I don't relish digging up cat poohs in my veggie beds! As for aerial predators, our girls have perfected quickly hiding in a nearby lean-to, under plants or pots, several doghouses, popup canopy, under lawn furniture or chairs, or under the coop. For our small backyard situation we haven't found it necessary to have a dog. We found chickens were almost like having a dog or cat - people-friendly, funny, smarter than we gave chickens credit for, sweet, pesty, etc.

Some photos of different shelters used by our hens.

Our pesty girls always crowding around for treats!

It has been well over 24 hours since our chicks were attacked by our own dogs in our house while we were gone and we have not been able to find them. I am holding out hope that they are hiding somewhere but at this point we may be searching for bodies. They must have found a tight space to hide in and then died of shock or injuries. We have checked under beds and the usual places but they may have gotten themselves behind the washer and dryer or some other space that will require moving furniture to find them. I am not able to walk right now while waiting for surgery so I had my daughter look after she got home from dress rehearsal. Tonight is opening night with a second show Friday night (first weekend performances) so she won't have time to search again until the weekend. I would love for them to start cheeping and come out of hiding but it has been far too quiet.
When it rains, it pours. Hope all will be well for you and DD. Dogs and poultry are not a good mix. That was a reason I told DH to choose for pets either a dog, a cat, or a small backyard chicken flock but not all 3 together. We've raised Persian Cats in the past, have had several large Rotties over the years, so now it was time to try Chickens. As for stray Cats in the yard, our chickens chase off the feral and neighborhood cats so they don't come back. Fine with me since I don't relish digging up cat poohs in my veggie beds! As for aerial predators, our girls have perfected quickly hiding in a nearby lean-to, under plants or pots, several doghouses, popup canopy, under lawn furniture or chairs, or under the coop. For our small backyard situation we haven't found it necessary to have a dog. We found chickens were almost like having a dog or cat - people-friendly, funny, smarter than we gave chickens credit for, sweet, pesty, etc. Some photos of different shelters used by our hens. Our pesty girls always crowding around for treats!
Nice pics! :thumbsup

I had a big dog gulp down a baby chick and swallowed it hole before I even realized what was happening. If you don't hear them they're gone!

We kept the three best splash chicks from our Easter hatch so they were going to go outside soon. One of them we found dead lying on its side. It was not torn apart. Sadly this is not the first time these dogs have killed so they have to go in a room when we are not able to watch them. They were in the room but mu husband did not close the door before we left so they got the chicks out of the brooder and destroyed eggs waiting to go in the incubator. The dead one was in the hatchery near the brooder but the other two dissppeared. The dogs have never eaten their kills before because they are dogs and they kill for sport, not for food.

I am afraid the chicks are dead from shock or internal injuries but I have been hoping they would be okay and come out of hiding. Our guard dog has not acted like she knows where they are but if they are dead the smell will give them away. Until we find them I keep hoping they survived. We kept them because we wanted to keep them (if they are pullets). I really don't want to keep killer dogs but they are just acting like dogs do it is our responsibility to keep them away from the birds.

My husband says he is sorry but he has not looked for them because he does not have time. My daughter does not have time either. I have time but I am off my feet due to an injury and medication that makes me fall over. I may have to try crawling around on the floor to find them.
Aw.... Hoping they turn up alright! We keep our chickens where our dogs can't go so when they do get to go where the chickens are, they are an unrecognized species to them and they bark their heads off :rolleyes:. Thankfully, they are okay with the one Silkie livng in the basemenet

I'm working on compiling a Silkie breeder list on my new Silkie website and would love some BYCers' input on the list. Here's what I have so far - www.silkiechickensonline.blogspot.com

Piehl's Poultry in Minnesota (Amazing A++ birds!!! That's where I got my two favorite Silkie hens!)
Sherri Minkner of California Country Ranch in NorCal (lottttss of variety and almost always has birds for sale)

Back
Top Bottom