Silkie thread!

I'm not interested in getting in a fight so this will be my only further response to this.

If a dog was attacking you, actually trying to bite you and draw blood, possibly causing injury, would you kick it away? Of course you would. Roosters can draw blood and seriously hurt people. I've watched a Polish cockbird, not more than 5 pounds mature, knock over a four year old girl and repeatedly kick her in the neck and face, causing multiple deep scratches and draw blood. Chickens may be small but they can absolutely cause harm.

I would never kick a hen; a chick; a mature rooster who is friendly and good. A turkey, peafowl, or any other animal. But DEFENDING YOURSELF AND OTHERS is not animal abuse. Just like I would kick a dog trying to bite and harm me, I would kick a rooster trying to bite and harm me.

I've never, ever, once had "cuddling" or "petting" result in a rooster calming down. I've tried it with every aggressive cockbird I've had. They immediately restarted their antics after being set down. One, the Polish, I did this with for four entire months with no change in behavior, and actually worsening over time. They are not being taught you aren't a threat; they're just getting irritated and learning you are not something that will hurt them, and so they can push you around any time they want. And yet, one episode of kicking - never enough to seriously harm, never actively running after them except to grab and hold them, just kicking them off your foot whenever they come back, willingly trying to hurt you - and not one rooster tried me ever again. I still have several of them, who are still alive today only because they learned their lesson quickly with minimal harm to both me and them. They are all happy, friendly birds, and I'm sure they would much rather be here - respectful of my presence in their flock - then sent off to Freezer Camp.

Comparing a dog to a roo is a bit of a stretch, but I can see where you are coming from. Just for the record , when I recommend picking the bird up it isn't for a cuddle. It is to take control of the bird , tried and true for my Roos and I have plenty. ;)

I agree...ADORABLE pooch but its not a yorkie. I have raised and shown dogs all my life and have been a professional groomer for 27 years. Schnauzer mix. Btw...I LOVE the markings on your Roo.. very beautiful... what is he mixed with to have a comb like that?
she had silkies bearded frizzles and polish!! I have six from the same lady and that's the only one with regularish feathers!!! I have one that's really curly!! I am kind of worried his comb may block he's eye idk if I am supposed to do something for it or if its fine!!! he is very sweat until he see's toes lol!!

I'm not interested in getting in a fight so this will be my only further response to this.

If a dog was attacking you, actually trying to bite you and draw blood, possibly causing injury, would you kick it away? Of course you would. Roosters can draw blood and seriously hurt people. I've watched a Polish cockbird, not more than 5 pounds mature, knock over a four year old girl and repeatedly kick her in the neck and face, causing multiple deep scratches and draw blood. Chickens may be small but they can absolutely cause harm.

I would never kick a hen; a chick; a mature rooster who is friendly and good. A turkey, peafowl, or any other animal. But DEFENDING YOURSELF AND OTHERS is not animal abuse. Just like I would kick a dog trying to bite and harm me, I would kick a rooster trying to bite and harm me.

I've never, ever, once had "cuddling" or "petting" result in a rooster calming down. I've tried it with every aggressive cockbird I've had. They immediately restarted their antics after being set down. One, the Polish, I did this with for four entire months with no change in behavior, and actually worsening over time. They are not being taught you aren't a threat; they're just getting irritated and learning you are not something that will hurt them, and so they can push you around any time they want. And yet, one episode of kicking - never enough to seriously harm, never actively running after them except to grab and hold them, just kicking them off your foot whenever they come back, willingly trying to hurt you - and not one rooster tried me ever again. I still have several of them, who are still alive today only because they learned their lesson quickly with minimal harm to both me and them. They are all happy, friendly birds, and I'm sure they would much rather be here - respectful of my presence in their flock - then sent off to Freezer Camp.

If they're actively attacking you then maybe and the way you described it the first time was way different than how you just described it. I still don't think I'd kick a rooster or dog for that matter, no, but who knows maybe if they were ACTUALLY causing harm. But the way you first describedwas to repeatedly punt them as hard as you can and then proceed to chase them around the yard and pin them down. IMO that is way WAY different then kicking them off of you for self defense. That's harassing them and going after them for no reason. Also I notice you said for both the dog and the rooster "trying" to cause harm. Maybe you meant actually causing harm, I don't know. But no I wouldn't kick an animal cause I think they are TRYING or MIGHT do something. Only if they were ACTUALLY biting me at the time or it was very very clear they were going to. And again self defense is different than chasing a roo around repeatedly kicking and pinning them

Comparing a dog to a roo is a bit of a stretch, but I can see where you are coming from. Just for the record , when I recommend picking the bird up it isn't for a cuddle. It is to take control of the bird , tried and true for my Roos and I have plenty. ;)

Exactly

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and unique ways of dealing with any situation so I would hope that no one would gang up on you .....or me for that matter because I agree with you 100%.

she had silkies bearded  frizzles and polish!! I have six from the same lady and that's the only one with regularish feathers!!! I have one that's really curly!! I am kind of worried his comb may block he's eye idk if I am supposed to do something for it or if its fine!!! he is very sweat until he see's toes lol!! 

Hmmmm, I have silkies and polish and neither have combs like that of course so I'm curious as to what he might be. Maybe someone else on this thread will chime in :) and he does seem to have an extremely large comb for that little fuzzy head of his. LoL

Maybe it was a misunderstanding but the way you described it was not self defense. I don't disagree that roosters can cause damage and I think your misunderstanding the proper handling. You don't cuddle them for bad behavior. Hurting them or striking them only works to agitate them more so I don't know how that would help. By fighting them you are actually proving to them that you are just another rooster to fight and they will continue to challenge you. You are supposed to be still until they are calm and then carry them around. This is not something another rooster does. Being carried asserts your role as alpha and the petting or soothing talk teaches them to trust you so they don't become agitated when you enter what they conservative to be their space. I got all this information from a rooster rescue that houses thousands of roosters and helps to rehome them. They have a very well written Web page to help people not wanting to give up their roosters. Not only has this worked for me but it even helped my rooster that was starting to act aggressive. Maybe you just don't know any better. Your way has been many people's way from years ago but the information has changed and the research shows chickens are smarter then dogs. They are easier to train. They have a higher understanding of their owners then dogs. We should all try to learn as new information is put out there so we can better understand our animals..

If they're actively attacking you then maybe and the way you described it the first time was way different than how you just described it. I still don't think I'd kick a rooster or dog for that matter, no, but who knows maybe if they were ACTUALLY causing harm. But the way you first describedwas to repeatedly punt them as hard as you can and then proceed to chase them around the yard and pin them down. IMO that is way WAY different then kicking them off of you for self defense. That's harassing them and going after them for no reason. Also I notice you said for both the dog and the rooster "trying" to cause harm. Maybe you meant actually causing harm, I don't know. But no I wouldn't kick an animal cause I think they are TRYING or MIGHT do something. Only if they were ACTUALLY biting me at the time or it was very very clear they were going to. And again self defense is different than chasing a roo around repeatedly kicking and pinning them
Exactly

X2

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best way to never end up with mean roosters is to never keep them EVER. There are so many nice roosters you cheat out of a good home by keeping mean ones. I raise lots of chicks each year and half are hens and half are roosters, as expected of course. It takes forever to find homes for the roosters, and it's so sad because they are usually the sweetest most docile ones. Also, when a mean rooster fathers a cockerel chick the chances are extremely high that the chick will be just as nasty. It doesn't matter how beautiful the rooster is, if he's mean he doesn't stay on my farm. Because of that rule I've kept, I've never had a mean rooster hatch out from my flock because I've never allowed them in.

He almost looks like a Bantum rooster with black skin a extra toe and hair on his feet!! He doesn't look like any of her other chickens!!! he always keeps his wings pointed down I really don't know much about chickens!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom