Silkie thread!

Do y'all think "she" will keep this uneven coloring? It seems like she has taken on more gray feathers since I brought her home, but maybe that's just wishful thinking? I got 3 silkie siblings about 4 weeks ago, the other two are solid black. They were born on June 23, so about 3.75 months old. One parent was white, the other was black (can't remember which color was which for the mom/dad).
All pics taken tonight at dusk-- so the coloring looks different bc of the lack of light.

Last edited:
My silkies look "fluffier" today.

It was 35 this morning and only a high of about 55.

They are about 6-7 months old.

So is it that they are just getting more mature feathers or fluffed up staying warm?

We've only had them about 3 months now and never seen them look so "fluffed" looking.

We're assuming because Mother Nature dropped our temps quite a bit the past couple days.

One of mine just finished molt and has her new fresh feathers and the other one is still losing feathers like crazy and has "porcupine quills" in her new crest. A bath made them look fluffier.

I had 2 and they were soooo low quality and horrible looking, when a guy offered me money for them, I took it!
big_smile.png

Now I want some gorgeous ones like I see on here!

Maybe your 2 Silkies just needed some beautifying baths and blow-dry's to make them presentable? My two are beautiful birds but then there are times they look like a cat dragged them around by the "hair"

A romp through spider webs can really mess up hair-do's

This one was still molting when the picture was taken - most of the tail and wing feathers had dropped off and her crest was tangled from molting feathers getting caught in the new quills coming in.

From the angle of this pic , looks like 2 x boys on the right. This is why it's difficult for anyone else to sex birds from a few pics, there are so many angles that you just can't see unless you see them in person.

They are kinda standing tall in this picture...
If that's why they look male (and maybe you have another reason), it was because I had my phone on "selfie" mode and they saw their reflection for the first time EVER and became very alert to the "strangers". Haha
The one on the left has too much poof to see in front of her, so she didn't react. I'm getting more & more certain that the one on the far left is a pullet. The other 2 seem to have the exact same comb/wattle development as the suspected pullet, and all 3 seem to be the exact same shape and weight. The "gal" on the far left of the family pic prefers sleeping at the bottom of the pile, and that leans towards female, correct?

If there's something else that's telling you "male" on those two, please let me know. Im trying to read all of these gender posts to know what to look for.

Wish I could share a video on here-- then you could see their mannerisms!
Also, do you know what color my "gray" would be considered?

I have had silkie's for a little over a year now as a hobby. Love them! Great pets! However one thing is really troubling me. When I have a hatch off there will be Days before all the eggs in the nest hatch. Back in March I thought it was probably due to the weather and Temp changes but I have had the same problem all summer. I just had a hen hatch off 8 but it took 11 days from the first one hatching to the last. Luckily I was able to move chicks to a bantam that had just hatched off and she took the chicks. I feel like some of these being late is because i suspect another hen was getting in the nest and laying eggs after the original hen had started setting. But it doesnt explain all the other hatches and even on this one there was 48 hours between the first chick hatching and the second chick. Is this common with silkies or does anyone have another explanation?

Back
Top Bottom