Silkie thread!

My silkies lay down to take naps in the most random places. This is in the middle of the yard
roll.png
She is breathtaking! My silkies all lay in the shade and it's cold outside, what's with that??? What parent lineage is she from RockerHen?

So, he is doing well and eating this morning :) :):)  I'll be putting him back with the others and giving them all the corid.  I'll keep them IN the coop and not let them out and keep the light on for them for a bit of warmth.

Do you guys let them outside when it is 35* out? Is that just too cold for them?

Happy to hear he is doing better! :). When your done with the Corid I would put the ACV with the mother in their water.

What is the lowest temperature a Silkie can stand? I have a 3 month old and she's my first Silkie, the winters in VA can be brutal, so I'm wondering how cold she can stand, so if it goes below that, I can put her in my barn under a heat lamp. Also, what's the highest, for summer time.
I've heard people talk about weather in the teens. The most important thing is that they have others to snuggle with to provide the heat. Silkies like to pile on each other to stay warm.

In the summer the biggest thing is ventilation...air moving through the coop. They will die more from overheating than being cold.

Happy to hear he is doing better!
smile.png
. When your done with the Corid I would put the ACV with the mother in their water.
I would add (according to a vet) that you follow the Corid with Probiotics, Vitamins, Electrolytes in the water for one week always after you have treated with any anitibiotics.

Well this might put it into perspective. Here's my daughter helping me at the last poultry show in october. She had just turned 19 months old (yes not even 2 years old...), 34" tall, and just about 25 pounds.

Here she's helping gather eggs in the pens...

What a doll baby! Look at her wag that silkie around. A born natural.

That is awesome...she is a little helper...she'll be a master breeder one day!
A little story this morning...I went to the walk-out basement where I have two momma hens and their chicks in separate cages up on the bench and a very large wire dog cage on the floor with a roo and three hens trying some breeding...well one of the 3 week old chicks got out of its cage during the night some time (it was 29F last night outside), must have fallen onto the cold concrete floor and I found it sitting in the large food bowl in the roo's cage eating quite happily with the roo and two of the hens...
I watched for a little while and when I went to get him out (his momma was quite frantic up on the bench watching everything) he ran under the roo who promptly sat down like a mother hen would...too funny! And it warmed my heart...lots to be thankful for there...silkies are wonderful birds....
Didn't you go to the show today?

my broody silkie and my silkie chicks whith foster mom
Cute pictures. Love your broody hen's coloring.

Love this bottom picture it looks like such a soothing place for them to relax in.

I came home about an hr ago, and found my tiny white pullet, Shasta, laying in a weird way on her side and not moving (sun wasn't out, she wasn't laying in the sun). I started to pick her up, and she started moving and stood up, acting normal (but puffed up). Few minutes later, my brother said that one was fighting with her. It was the Showgirl cockerel, trying to mate with her. He's much bigger, but he's only a week older. I brought Shasta (the pullet) into the house and gave her Denegard. Then, I started thinking that maybe he's been doing that all day, and has hurt her. I separated them. I guess morning will tell if she's ok.
hu.gif
Pam
Pam is Shasta okay? I hope so. I noticed my roo going after one of my silkie babies that I think is a boy. I hope it doesn't get ugly! Hoping all is good with Shasta.

Well this might put it into perspective.  Here's my daughter helping me at the last poultry show in october.  She had just turned 19 months old (yes not even 2 years old...), 34" tall, and just about 25 pounds.

Good thing the brahmas are docile since they have her outsized...

Oh my, how sweet! You've got to tuck a copy of that first pic somewhere safe, so that when she graduates from high school you can give her a copy. Time is going to fly by and you will cherish these memories. Believe me, seems like I blinked my eyes and my son went from an adorable six year old 4H Cloverbud to a sophomore in college. Tina G

Well this might put it into perspective. Here's my daughter helping me at the last poultry show in october. She had just turned 19 months old (yes not even 2 years old...), 34" tall, and just about 25 pounds.

Good thing the brahmas are docile since they have her outsized...

Oh my gosh sooooooo cute!!!!!!!!

I bet those jerseys ate cute! Your so lucky. I'm going to try to hatch some out in the spring. I think I would like a couple buff Orphingtons for some big eggs. I want something nice enough to get along with the silkies. Or maybe Cochins would be nice.
Snow is still the same very dirty butt hasn't been laying but neither is anyone much right now. I've been trying the fermented feed on her because I've heard people say it clears it up. But not working so far. I have never seen a chicken poop as big as her in the morning HUGE! Jaw dropping HUGE. I thought her feathers on her crest and beard would be growing out by now but she looks the same. She doesn't act sick tho eats good.

My Jerseys get along well with the silkies, that is why it was wierd with the feather pulling but kind of wondering know if he just wanted to mate her. I need to get this guy a few more hens, he only has one girl at this point but raising up his new harem. My friend Karen may have some more Jersey chicks if you are interested and my Hubby is working in Albany once a week if you need another chicken transport. The chicks I am raising there are 3 cockrels and 3 pullets so if you are interested Karen may sell one to you. One is going to be a gorgeous blue color. Here is a picture of my blue boy, I call him Teddy after Teddy Pendergrass, lol.

Back
Top Bottom