Silkie with eye infection/blindness. Coryza or....?

twistedwire

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Silkie hatched in March. Becoming quickly emaciated.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

I originally found her 2 weeks ago, lost and disoriented instead of in the coop with the rest. I was surprised when she let me pick her up without 'chasing' her for a few steps. Then I noticed her eyes were both closed. No discharge, no cough, just closed eyes. It seemed almost, also, like there were tiny mites moving around her eyes. I put a couple drops of Ivomec on her back and also treated with PPG and teramycin eye ointment.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

About 2 weeks.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No, though some sound rattly and cough OCCASIONALLY and have since spring.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No-she was totally normal in the morning when I turned the chickens loose.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

No eating or drinking-I've been dipping her beak in water with Quick Chick added to it. I've set her outside a couple times now that her eyes are starting to open again (Though I'm not confident she can even see). This morning she actually went to scratching around, but didn't seem to see the corn I sprinkled for her. I put out some bread and in about 10 minutes when I came back out, the bread was gone.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

PPG, ivomec, and teramycin eye ointment

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Free Range during the day, coop at night. Pine shavings for bedding.

I've been reading up on Coryza and aside from the eyes, nothing else seems to quite fit...there's no smell that I notice.

Back
Top Bottom