silkie x ?

If you breed them together, and get Paint patterned birds(mostly white with black patches), then paint silkie cross would be right answer. If most are like this with some being solid white and some with no white then it's probably leghorn cross.

eye catching birds, whatever they are exactly. :)
Is this an example of dominant white?

I have birds that look identical. They are silkie x buff laced polish.

Is this an example of dominant white?

I have birds that look identical. They are silkie x buff laced polish.
Here's another Silkie x buff-laced Polish. Don't know if it was the white or black Silkie roo, though.

Last edited:
Here's another Silkie x buff-laced Polish. Don't know if it was the white or black Silkie roo, though.
My silkie was a sizzle blackish colour. Babies still grew up to look just like this (the girls).

Here is one of the girls

The males all pretty much looked like this (in colour) Most of my males turned out to be frizzled too

Hey those sure do look identical to the OP's birds! I'm surprised the crests aren't fuller in all birds as that's crested to crested breeding. So the OP's birds could be Polish Silkie crosses instead of leghorn.

Yes it's dominant white I was thinking of with the white leghorn comments- if birds from a dominant white cross are bred together, most will be spotty like these but 1/4 will be pure for dominant white and be a cleaner white. 1/4 will have no white.

However if they are from crosses with buff leghorns, a portion of them will bleed varying amounts of gold/buff/reddish.. there will be a lot more of them if the cross birds are bred with each other. Plus some brown or reddish birds with white highlights (like some of your other silkie mixes)

Thanks for the pictures and will try to remember this possibility next time.

Hey those sure do look identical to the OP's birds! I'm surprised the crests aren't fuller in all birds as that's crested to crested breeding. So the OP's birds could be Polish Silkie crosses instead of leghorn.

Yes it's dominant white I was thinking of with the white leghorn comments- if birds from a dominant white cross are bred together, most will be spotty like these but 1/4 will be pure for dominant white and be a cleaner white. 1/4 will have no white.

However if they are from crosses with buff leghorns, a portion of them will bleed varying amounts of gold/buff/reddish.. there will be a lot more of them if the cross birds are bred with each other. Plus some brown or reddish birds with white highlights (like some of your other silkie mixes)

Thanks for the pictures and will try to remember this possibility next time.
Their mother was not well crested if I compared her with other polishes. She was a cull from someone's breeding program. She was the only female my sizzle attempted to woo, so I hatched from her. I wanted more frizzles!

Does buff laced carry dominant white? Or is that a complex question? :p

Haha!!!

No not complex at all. Buff laced are gold laceds with dominant white added*. That's it. Must be the shortest answer I've ever given!
gig.gif

The reason the crosses are mostly white is because black is dominant so what you did was a black chicken bred with a colored chicken. Normally the chicks would have come out black/mostly black except the DW from the buff laced changed the black to white.

*DW does not suppress red/gold pigments very well.. that's why buff laced is possible. DW was only able to suppress the black lacing part but not the gold centers.

OK not so short answer anymore! I need to work at this...
roll.png

Haha!!!

No not complex at all. Buff laced are gold laceds with dominant white added*. That's it. Must be the shortest answer I've ever given!
gig.gif

The reason the crosses are mostly white is because black is dominant so what you did was a black chicken bred with a colored chicken. Normally the chicks would have come out black/mostly black except the DW from the buff laced changed the black to white.

*DW does not suppress red/gold pigments very well.. that's why buff laced is possible. DW was only able to suppress the black lacing part but not the gold centers.

OK not so short answer anymore! I need to work at this...
roll.png
Well he wasn't really 'black' he had gold hackles. I have no idea what he was genetically. I didn't really care as I was just pleased I found a sizzle at all! :)

Every single one of his kids came out creamy coloured. I hatched roughly 20 of them.. But I sold many. I just got a trio back (ugly ugly son...) but they had some nice black frizzled babies from the offspring of the ones I pictured.

Solid black is a problem in silkies- have to actively breed against color leaking on necks. This problem is made worse by the fact the males will show the leakage while their genetically identical sisters seem solid black.. so if you breed those girls, they will throw leaky sons.... tricky, genes are!

There isnt really a single gene for solid black chicken. There are two common genes that make chickens mostly black. Both of them need helper genes to fill in the colored areas with more black pigment until all color is gone.

That's also why it's so common for black bred to colored throw chics that start black but eventually acquire color as they mature like on black sex links which are RIR(colored) over BR(solid black, ignoring the barring). The chicks are black because the black from BR is dominant. However the RIR are lacking genes that help fill in the colored areas into black.. so the cross chicks are genetically "black, but lacking the necessary genes to help fill in the brown areas to black".

A lot of solid black chickens are actually birchen but you'd never know because they have those helper genes that filled in the birchen areas into black.

Back
Top Bottom