Silkied Ameraucana Project

I need to ask mine to sit still for a photo shoot... lol.. they are so stinkin adorable!
love.gif

Like the new thread. :frow I hope to be adding some pics to it soon! I am even having these chickens in my dreams now. I have officially lost it.
A few months ago I was perfectly happy with the chickens I have, but you guys had to tickle my chicken math bone. It is a very sensitive bone :plbb

:lau

I know what you mean about it being very sensitive. Mine is too!! That's why I am scraping every penny I have together right now just to buy feed!! Oh, chicken math... You must leave me alone!

Quote:
It will go away, mine finally did, I found a few I really like and stick to it and don't get caught up in the newer breeds, just because I have to have them. I like Kim only have around 50 birds. Silkied AM's are the main project, I breed and show d'Uccles and I have my layers which give me my eggs and are the oldest birds I own, they raise chicks for me also. So if you are scraping pennies to feed it is time to downsize it will stress you out and then you can't concentrate on any single breed.. Just saying not trying to tell anyone what to do. I did this and my bank account grew.
idunno.gif

Now I want to put new blood in with my Silkied AM's. Kim if I put some of my Blue and Black AM's from pips and peeps would I get 50/50 on the color and splits on the Silkied

It will go away, mine finally did, I found a few I really like and stick to it and don't get caught up in the newer breeds, just because I have to have them. I like Kim only have around 50 birds. Silkied AM's are the main project, I breed and show d'Uccles and I have my layers which give me my eggs and are the oldest birds I own, they raise chicks for me also. So if you are scraping pennies to feed it is time to downsize it will stress you out and then you can't concentrate on any single breed.. Just saying not trying to tell anyone what to do. I did this and my bank account grew. :idunno

You're right. I am actually scraping pennies this month due to other unforeseen issues... So, it will be good! I have about 75 birds mow but some of them are going so I hope to be down to 50 with 5 breeds. That sounds like a lot of breeds doesn't it!

I do not ever count on the 50/50 anything. Some hatches using splits & silkied I'd get all splits & some mostly silkied. Adding unrelated regular hens in with a silkied roo will produce all splits from those eggs. Then those split pullets go back to a silkied roo and you can get splits & silkied. I just never count on the ratio being exactly 50/50.
Now I want to put new blood in with my Silkied AM's. Kim if I put some of my Blue and Black AM's from pips and peeps would I get 50/50 on the color and splits on the Silkied

Last edited:
I do not ever count on the 50/50 anything. Some hatches using splits & silkied I'd get all splits & some mostly silkied. Adding unrelated regular hens TO A SILKIED BIRD will produce all splits from those eggs. Then those split pullets go back to a silkied roo and you can get splits & silkied. I just never count on the ratio being exactly 50/50..
pardon Cat, but I needed to clarify what you typed.

Splits of regular recessives like the silkied to a non carrier of the recessive will only get 25% that carry the recessive (statisticly).
Sexlinked recessives another story. With choc, males carry 2 copies of the choc gene and females a single. Males need both to be choc to show it, if split will carry.
Females with only a single choc place cannot be splits or carry choc - they show it and are or don't and aren't. So you can get a choc f out of a split roo and a non choc female.

Silkied X silkied = all silkied
Regular non split X silkied= all splits
Split X silkied = splits and or silkied
Split X split is where you can get non carrier, splits and silkied. The splits and non carriers you can't tell apart other than test breeding...

Any of the breeding that results in less than 100% can be any % - 50/50 & 50/25/25 can not be guaranteed. It may turn out that way, higher or lower... I have had hatches of a split to a silkied and got ALL silkied chicks. I have also had them be all splits and more of 1 than the other not anywhere near a perfect ratio...

Anyone has a question about anything I post. Feel free to ask me to clarify if it's not clear. Don't alter my posts in a quote...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom