Silkied Ameraucana Project

I feel so bad for you!!!! Get some vitamin water with electrolytes in the shocky birds. There's Kaytee "exact" powdered baby parrot feed that birds will eat when nothing else. Can tube if you have to with it. Get nourishment in them and keep them warm. Days like this you just wanna cry. So sorry!
hugs.gif

Thanks everyone she was up and eating this morning, something is wrong with her eyes and will check them when I get home

Well I can home from work today and found my Marans hen died. As I was going to check on the others I found feathers and knew right away they belonged to a Silkied Am. Started looking for the Silkied Am and found two of my d'Uccles dead, more feathers found both the splash and blue cockerels in the run and I believe they got feathers just pulled out still no sight of the blue girl. I know at this moment that a dog got on our yard while we were at work and wrecked havoc my birds. So I decide to do some asking around and started talking to the Amish kids two doors down and they say there father shot pellets at a white dog that was in their cabbage. They then came back with me to help look for missing birds we found two more dUccles dead. Then Mary said look there's a raccoon under the tree I see it, she said. I knew right away it was the blue girl. She wasn't dead bit in shock and her eye looks swollen, so I brought her in the attached garage and put her in brooder to rest with 2 young dUccles and a wheaten Oe chick. I hope she makes it through the night. I also found 2 AM chicks hatched from pips and peeps dead. But the other 3 were fine, mother hen died. My 2 dark Cornish and one Marans hen are now rumpless. My poor babies had a horrible day and I will have to lock them up all day tomorrow, even though half will fly out of the layer run and there's no way to keep the lavender in a run, but the Silkied am can't fly and the dUccles will be locked in so most will be safe. I told the old man I want to learn how to shot the .22 because if I catch a strange dog in the yard I think I'm going to shot first and not ask questions later. Horrible evening

hugs.gif

Anyone have The Ameraucana Breeders Club official color chart, that is a fuji film photo? Over half the chart is for greens and some even look purple or pink. So anyone wants to fuss over any of the Silkied Am eggs not all being a good blue or being green/olive, tell them to get that chart and any of the eggs being laid will fit on that chart for color... Surprised to see the puke green gray color of some eggs I got locally early this year for regular Am's is actually on here. So all this talk about they have to lay a blue egg really doesn't matter I guess. The color boxes take up really small squares too. Would be much better to have made the color squares bigger and the center logo much smaller... Yinepu the chart I got from you is great!

All mine took right to the FF I started yesterday. Someone is laying in my lav coop that has Silkied Am's in it but no idea if it's a lav or a silkied but it's blue
big_smile.png
Time to get a chair and spy!

Nice. Last year at Ohio national poultry show the wining AM laid an egg right as the judges were judging and it was a green egg. Nice looking bird too. Kim I'm glad you kids like the FF. I get 100% hatches from eggs since I started using it. It could be I'm getting better at hatching to, by not stressing and letting them cook

I've been putting off ordering one of those egg color cards, but I want that for next year -- it'd make it a lot easier to choose the best egg color other than "hm, I think this is bluer - or is it just a hint of green that makes it a bit darker?" - are there any other good color charts for eggs besides the ABC one? So far my biggest compare is having a few eggs side-by-side. The bit-too-green egg from one of the pullets doesn't look very green by itself, but next to the other eggs you can really see the green tone it has.

Still talking to see if I can get some good black lines in from one of the ABC breeders in driving distance. Sounds like I may be able to pick up a couple of 4-8 month old cockerels - and maybe a few pullets! I figure if I can get some nice black cockerels over some silkied blues/blacks I'll be well on the way to skewing the next generation towards a black flock with the splits. The cost will set me back on putting orders in for eggs/chicks from other lines, but I figure a chicken in the coop is worth two in the ordering form, or however you want to modify that saying :)

Back
Top Bottom