Silkied Ameraucana Project

Just like people - change to winter weather seems to contribute to losses.
hit.gif

If you have a death and want a necropsy done and don't have time, put the bird in the frig. Not the freezer, the frig. When I worked at my Vet's clinic, what we didn't necropsy there was sent to A & M for the procedure. No idea what the cost would be. And very good idea to do what you have in learning what normal looks like. The Vet I worked with was always telling the new people that to learn was is normal in what you are looking at will go a long ways in catching what is not normal...

Laying age pullet the 1st thing I'd think of is an egg issue. Was probably what was going on with my regular Ameraucana hen, just about ready to start laying again. Around here could have been a venomous snake bite too as we have a couple of bad snakes types around here. Now if I lost a large # of my birds, from any breed, I'd look at a disease process going on.

First of all I want to thank CatKai for my beautiful babies
hugs.gif

I had read on one of the silkied am's thread that you could tell early on boys from girls by the tail length, with males growing out much slower, so I have posted two pics below and would love some opinions.

Long tail

Short tail

They also have a different posture.

This pic is one that hatched that CatKai has not seen happen before. He has a dark colored spot around one side of the face. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this and if it will stay?

and I am including this pic just because.........

You are lucky you live close to her, I'm in Ohio and wanted those babies.
hit.gif
I'm glad you got them. Yeah one more of us
yesss.gif

Michele that's the 1 that I told you about with the blue mark by the eye.

You will have to wait until it's feathered out to be sure. I had a Marans pullet that the breeder said was a blue splash. She had said blue splash was a pale blue instead of white on a splash. It's the only 1 that I have had like that so far. At 3-4 months you will know what you have on gender. Tails are not a 100% sure deal on guessing.

Last edited:
Michele you make me feel bad for not shipping :( I don't think I'll ever ship chicks but maybe older ones... She drove 3 hours to come get them. I sure wish there was someone really close that would be working on them.

You will have to wait until it's feathered out to be sure. I had a Marans pullet that the breeder said was a blue splash. She had said blue splash was a pale blue instead of white on a splash. It's the only 1 that I have had like that so far. At 3-4 months you will know what you have on gender. Tails are not a 100% sure deal on guessing.
Wishful thinking sexing my birds so young I know. I cant help but to try. Three to four months
ep.gif
I am sure I will have guessed a million guesses by then.

You are lucky you live close to her, I'm in Ohio and wanted those babies.
hit.gif
I'm glad you got them. Yeah one more of us
yesss.gif
Thankyou mstricer,

I feel pretty lucky indeed. Six hour round trip was well worth it. They will have a wonderful home with me
love.gif

I like the mask on the eye. I had Marans that did that and they were always boys.

Michele you make me feel bad for not shipping :( I don't think I'll ever ship chicks but maybe older ones... She drove 3 hours to come get them. I sure wish there was someone really close that would be working on them.
I can wait for older ones
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom