Silkied Ameraucana Project

Sorry to be late to reply to several PM's, that's next on my list. We got the flu here, my husband was better pretty fast. I have made 4 Dr visits and 1 ER visit... So I am way behind on a lot of stuff... I'll go now to reply to PM's but wanted to post here to reach more at 1 time possible as to why you have not heard back from me...

If anyone knows Italia and can contact her to check on her, she's not logged in here in over a month. I had her # but my phone did an update and ate all my contacts...

Last edited:
Hope you feel better soon, flu is quite the miserable thing.

I need to redo my brooder setup before I start my first hatch of the year - I'd like to build a permanent setup in the basement if I could figure out how to best manage the dust that seems to get everywhere. From what I read part of that problem might have been from using sand in the brooder - may try more traditional litters this time around.

I am still looking for Silkied Ameraucana eggs. I don't need them yet. Need them to arrive around March 27th. Will anyone have any around that time?

Id be interested in some hatching eggs as well whenever someone has some :) I'm experimenting with a strand of frizzle feathered americaunas and I'd love to introduce sine silkie feathers to it! Plus I've been wanting some of these babies ever since the original thread with the first 2 appeared many years ago.

Barring unforseen problems, I should have extra eggs to share this spring but no time frame yet - I will start offering them to those who want them once my incubators are full. They'd be BBS (trending towards blue/black - mostly blue x (blue + black)) and silkied/split (silkied x (silkied + split)) trending towards more silkied than split.

Caveat on the hatch out - there seems to be a fair bit of red leakage among the cockerels hatched out; I have not pinpointed the birds contributing to this issue so expect to cull for that on any eggs from me. On the upside the red feathers sure make the boys easy to spot for culling.

If all goes according to plan this will be a huge hatch year for some harder culling to reach a black flock. So I should have quite a few splash/blue silkied/split pullets or cockerels this year for those willing to pick them up. Baring pickups I'll retain as many good pullets and backup roos as I reasonably can in a separate laying flock - doesn't hurt to have them held back for genetic diversity in case something happens to the main flock.

Afraid I can't help you all looking for eggs just yet. Hopefully someone will pip in soon with more info.

I don't mind waiting until spring for eggs, and if your area of KS isn't too far I would make the drive for some splash birds. Is my favorite color.

Barring unforseen problems, I should have extra eggs to share this spring but no time frame yet - I will start offering them to those who want them once my incubators are full.  They'd be BBS (trending towards blue/black - mostly blue x (blue + black)) and silkied/split (silkied x (silkied + split)) trending towards more silkied than split. 

Caveat on the hatch out - there seems to be a fair bit of red leakage among the cockerels hatched out; I have not pinpointed the birds contributing to this issue so expect to cull for that on any eggs from me.  On the upside the red feathers sure make the boys easy to spot for culling.

If all goes according to plan this will be a huge hatch year for some harder culling to reach a black flock.  So I should have quite a few splash/blue silkied/split pullets or cockerels this year for those willing to pick them up.  Baring pickups I'll retain as many good pullets and backup roos as I reasonably can in a separate laying flock - doesn't hurt to have them held back for genetic diversity in case something happens to the main flock.

Afraid I can't help you all looking for eggs just yet.  Hopefully someone will pip in soon with more info.

I am only 2 hours from you! I'll be in Olathe around April 18 picking up 10 chicks. Any chance I could get 6 or so from you?

Back
Top Bottom