Silkied Ameraucana Project

Just hatched 2 split for silkied Ams. Both look to br splash. Please be silkied. Please be silkied! I'll post pics in a day or 2.

Congrats!

Out of the 10 I had hatch.. I have 6 silkied...
wee.gif

Of the 8 that hatched, 3 are silkie feathered. Sadly the lav isn't, but I'm still keeping him :) hopefully I'll get an idea of the sexes soon so I can get an idea of who's staying and who's going

I have a quick question for you all:

My 4 are now a little over 4 weeks old - one has a raised pink comb - thinking male.

At this age - should I be concerned about the other 3 with flat pale combs or is does it become obvious soon?

The pink combed little guy is the blue regular feathered one. The other 3 are splash ( 2 silkied - 1 regular). I will try to get updated pictures and post them later this week.

Thanks! and congrats on all the recent hatches!

Lori

My 4 are now a little over 4 weeks old - one has a raised pink comb - thinking male.

At this age - should I be concerned about the other 3 with flat pale combs or is does it become obvious soon?

The pink combed little guy is the blue regular feathered one. The other 3 are splash ( 2 silkied - 1 regular). I will try to get updated pictures and post them later this week.

Lori

I have roos that show me pink combs early and then I have roos that are late bloomers and keep me guessing...

I can usually get a good indicator of sex early on just by the width of the comb- if you see three distinct pea rows that's a boy for sure. A fat wide comb without the three distinct rows is usually a boy but not always (I have had a few ladies fool me). A very small petite comb area is a girl.

Hope that helps!

Congrats on your babies :)

Lori

I have roos that show me pink combs early and then I have roos that are late bloomers and keep me guessing...

I can usually get a good indicator of sex early on just by the width of the comb- if you see three distinct pea rows that's a boy for sure. A fat wide comb without the three distinct rows is usually a boy but not always (I have had a few ladies fool me). A very small petite comb area is a girl.

Hope that helps!

Congrats on your babies :)

Seen 3 rows on a pullet/hen several times, just the comb is small.

Those are the fat comb girls I was talking about. Usually you don't get 3 distinct rows on them but a row or two of peas or maybe a mish mash between the two that I'm never 100% sure on. The comb is never wide and you really can't make it out perfectly like the boys. The wide comb with 3 distinct rows has always been boys here 100% of the time-at least that has been my experience.

On a side note I find I get my best male combs from my late blooming boys who don't show me those large early peas. Early on in breeding the Silkied I was fighting this ridiculous comb my boys were getting. Combs looked great until about 7-8 months old and then suddenly they exploded into just weirdness lol.

Luckily growing out and breeding only my late blooming boys has given me a nice tight comb now.

Back
Top Bottom